corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Not starting, Sometimes start, Temperamental German etc

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Audi A3 2.0 TDi - Not starting, Sometimes start, Temperamental German etc
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Dec 11 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Story goes. My A3 has had a little struggle starting for a month or 2 now, just thought it was due to needing a service. Went to it last week and the battery was dead. Took it off, charged for 24hours, stuck it on, sweet as a nut.

Yesterday, the same thing kind of happened. All the dials came on etc but turned the key all the way and nothing. Just clunked and went off. Tried again and again to no avail.

Thinking it was the battery again, I took it off and charged for another day. Stuck it back on this afternoon and the same thing. Dials on, music on, headlights on, the works! Turn the key completely and nothing, dead as a dodo. Tried jump starting it and got the same thing, just clunked on full key turn.

Then tried bumping it in 1st, 2nd then even reverse, yet again to no avail. Made got his laptop and USB to fault code it and it came up with nothing, completely clean.

Tried starting it off jump leads couple more times and then it sounded like something was freeing up (started motor?) kept the key turned fully, then after 3-4 more attempts it kicked up sweet.

Chucked a multimeter across the battery whilst it was off the car, on the car and running so can rule out the alternator not charging and having an electrical drain.

Took it for a few mile drive and stuck it back on my drive again. I'm going to check the voltage tomorrow when i finish work to make sure its not a drain then try and start it again,

Anybody any ideas?!

Couple mates have said battery and some have said starter motor isn't kicking in/spinning.

Thanks.
johnhara1

14th Dec 11 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should still bump start if starter motor packed in but that's what I'd have pointed the finger at first.

Bridge the solenoid on the starter and see if it spins, obviously make sure car is not in gear!

If it doesn't, check you're actually getting power to the starter.

Jakey
Premium Member

14th Dec 11 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just spoke to my grease monkey mate and he reckons starter motor for definite. Apparently they're a bitch to get at on these and I should just take it off and test the solenoid off the car.
Jakey
Premium Member

15th Dec 11 at 23:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anybody else?

New Poll