corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » network help (again) wirless not working in halls

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author network help (again) wirless not working in halls
LeeM

User status: Offline
19th Feb 12 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought a brand new router a month ago, all worked fine. now my internet wont work wirelessly.
t&c's say ive got to turn off dhcp, which i did when i installed it and its still off buit theyre telling me its assigning ip's to other people so theyve disabled the port.
it still works if i plug into the router directly but anything connected wirelessly isnt receiving internet signal, can someoen explain how it works and wtf's goin on??
Gaz

19th Feb 12 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not fully up with networking however can you not just hit the reset button and rest any configuration that someone may or may not have changed?
LeeM

19th Feb 12 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive reset it completely and reconfigured it
John

19th Feb 12 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The network guys won't have changed anything on your router, just disabled the port for your room on their managed switch, this would normally either block everything, or only allow one device, which doesn't sound like what's happening.

Could be a couple of things.

What sort of IP addresses are your equipment getting when it does work?
LeeM

19th Feb 12 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 different ip's. im getting the 192.168 from the wireless which is being assigned by the wouter and 10.101 on the ethernet which is the one being assigned by the isp
LeeM

19th Feb 12 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but theyve told me that theyve disabled a port.
laptop and xbox both connect to the internet when plugged in with a cable but wirelss neither of them get net
LeeM

19th Feb 12 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i fixed it, disabled NAT
John

19th Feb 12 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They want you to just use it as a switch and a wireless access point instead of doing any routing by the sounds of it.

If your wireless devices were getting 192 addresses that means DHCP was still turned on for the wireless at least.

They'll have a DHCP server running on the network.
LeeM

19th Feb 12 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats it, i can only use it as a WAP. id worked out that dhcp was still in effect for the wireless but couldnt find any kind of option, i just had dhcp disabled.
seems to be working with NAT disabled though im wireless now
Dom

19th Feb 12 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you locked down the wireless?

Are you able to connect ok being hardwired into the router and assigning a static 192 IP?

Did you assign static 192.168 IPs to your devices?
If not and your devices were set to use DHCP to request addresses, then they would have been assigned 10.101 ranges; although i'm confused why wireless devices IP where assigned your routers address range unless you set them up as statics?

This might be the reason behind the "its assigning ip's to other people" but you need to clarify if you're allowed to use multiple devices (if not then you'll have to follow my advice in the other thread) on the connect and if devices should connect to your routers 192.168 address range (ie: your gear hides behind the router, NAT connection, router is the only device with a 10.101 address) or if the router should technically act as a switch with your devices being assigned to their 10.101 range.

Edit - Never mind, sounds like you've sorted it....

[Edited on 19-02-2012 by Dom]
LeeM

19th Feb 12 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont get any of that dom

New Poll