corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Footwell lighting ??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Footwell lighting ??
jono22

User status: Offline
21st Mar 12 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guys want to run a couple off these small blue light smd strips tucked up underneath the dash shining down on the footwell area off the car, the come supplied with just a red/black power wire, want to have them permantly wired on so they come on in the dark ie. when the cars lights are on as opposed to say just when the dorrs are open etc.

any advice on what I need / need to do to enable this ??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251006383266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Matty W

21st Mar 12 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could build a small 4 pin relay circuit. Take power for the switch side of the relay from the earth terminal of your sidelight switch and earth the other side to the car somewhere. Then make a fused feed running to the switched side from a 12v live and attach your live to the light to the other switched pin. Then just ground the black wire
jono22

21st Mar 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay great thanks for that - sounds easy enough ?? any idea if such a 4 pin relay circuit board is readily avialble ie. via ebay etc ??
Matty W

21st Mar 12 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can buy 4 pin relays from halfords.
ive done a quick circuit diagram. make sure you take the earth from the luminocity circuit ( the bit that lights up the switch ) and not the actual sidelight circuit. the luminocity circuit will have a lower voltage

sorry its a bit crude

(dont forget to put a fuse in the 12V feed for whatever amp rating your lights are)

[Edited on 21-03-2012 by Matty W]
jono22

21st Mar 12 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats excellent ,really do appreciatte that mate thanks.
Phoenix Autosport

21st Mar 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they have a very low power consumption and will draw an absolutely pitiful amount of current so you could just connect black to a suitable ground and red to ilumination wire going to your stereo for running 2 of them you will have plenty of spare capacity in that wiring, the way above is the prefered method when connecting incandescent bulbs but in this case the relay coil will consume more power than the led lights so its a bit self defeating so just wire them straight in
jono22

22nd Mar 12 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay cheers see what you are saying but again would prefer just to have them working at night so would obviously have to have them running off something that only powers up when the headlights or whatver are switched on.
jrneedo

22nd Mar 12 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not wire them into the headlight switch?

I was going to do this but wiring them into the door light so when the doors opened they came on but it was too much ofa ball ache.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

22nd Mar 12 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why do you need to have lights on your feet while your driving?!?
jrneedo

22nd Mar 12 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's got some new fancy shoes he wants to shoe off even when driving maybe?
Phoenix Autosport

22nd Mar 12 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jrneedo
Why not wire them into the headlight switch?

I was going to do this but wiring them into the door light so when the doors opened they came on but it was too much ofa ball ache.

thats why i said to use the stereo illumination wire as it connects to the switch but its dead easy to get at, worst case all you got to do is slide the stereo forwards or if you are lucky you may be able to hook the wire with a bent coat hanger from in the passenger foot well between the dash and heater assembly
andy_mk3

22nd Mar 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
why do you need to have lights on your feet while your driving?!?

My thoughts exactly! I plan to wire some in to my astra, I have a few boot and glovebox lights I want to fit in the footwells, I don't want it stupidly bright, just nice to have them lit when you open the door
Edges 58

23rd Mar 12 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have these lights in my car, coming out soon as I've grown bored with them. But, they are stoopidly easy to do. I used scotch locks to connect the power and earth wires to the power and earth wires of the interior light. Nothing else needed because they draw so little amps
Edges 58

23rd Mar 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus being on the interior light, take the interior light bulb out. The the blue lights come one when a door opens plus you can turn them on or off with the interior light switch to have them on whenever you want

New Poll