corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Phone people. Unlimited internet that isn't.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Phone people. Unlimited internet that isn't.
Carl

User status: Offline
10th Apr 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, like alot of people i'm on unlimited internet which turns out to actually be 500 fair usage policy. If this is classed as "unlimited" how can some companies now do 1gig a month?!Is it worth phoning Orange to bring this point up? Doesn't seem right to me, I didn't sign up to 500mb I signed up to unlimited!
noshua

10th Apr 12 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You signed up to 'Unlimited' with a fair usage policy of 500Mb, you signed up to this 500Mb fair usage limit because you took the contract out.

Companies differ, Three have either no limits or the highest, unsure how they are for coverage of phone, text or Internet though.

EDIT: you'll gain nothing by ringing up, don't bother wasting your time. are you actually using >500Mb?

[Edited on 10-04-2012 by noshua]
Carl

10th Apr 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I tend to go slightly over some months, the missus goes over quite a bit because she commutes alot . I agree with what you are saying but it's sold as unlimited with an FUP small print. It's like they can do what they want a lot of times with these big companies, thought it might be worth bringing up!
sc0ott

10th Apr 12 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless youre downloading apps all the time, visiting web pages, facebook etc wont even tickle the 500mb.
Russ

10th Apr 12 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its in the small print. They did nothing wrong IMO
Steve
Premium Member

10th Apr 12 at 18:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still dont know how companies can legally get away with it, it may be in the small print but the advertised offer completely contradicts with the small print making it false advertising imo
Bart

10th Apr 12 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like Sc0ott says, watching videos is what kills it.
They did nothing wrong, and tbh I thought it was common knowledge these days, its the same with ISPs, you always want to check their fair usage policy before signing up.

Stay away from videos while not on wifi and you should be ok.
Carl

10th Apr 12 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
Unless youre downloading apps all the time, visiting web pages, facebook etc wont even tickle the 500mb.

Both of us rarely download apps, but browse facebook etc and we always get near, like I said she goes over a lot, we've both had same phone for 20 months, probably shit loads of stuff going on in the background!

the issue is they sell it as "unlimited" regardless of the 500 FUP, (which I accepted as that was the norm at the time 20 months ago so it didn't matter), they now do bigger deals so that to me makes a mockery of the term unlimited on my deal! I just thought maybe someone might have brought the same issue up as it makes perfect sense to me and i'd imagine it'd cost phone companies naff all to change it.
Rob_Quads

10th Apr 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
I still dont know how companies can legally get away with it, it may be in the small print but the advertised offer completely contradicts with the small print making it false advertising imo

Agree 100%. Bit like saying. Unlimited Warranty on a car advert and then putting small print in saying. Oh actually its only 3 years.
noshua

10th Apr 12 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
the issue is they sell it as "unlimited" regardless of the 500 FUP, (which I accepted as that was the norm at the time 20 months ago so it didn't matter),

True, I remember I used to constantly go over 500Mb (or 750 I think it was before they reduced, O2) and it wasn't enforced, now they charge you ridiculous amounts per Mb that you're over.

I know with O2 you can phone up and upgrade for an extra £5 to the next data bundle (+250Mb I imagine), probably worth looking into.
Carl

10th Apr 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:

Agree 100%. Bit like saying. Unlimited Warranty on a car advert and then putting small print in saying. Oh actually its only 3 years.

Then bringing out a warranty deal where you actually get 5 years warranty.
Steve
Premium Member

10th Apr 12 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its like selling a bottle of vodka, labelled up and advertised as vodka but in the small print somewhere on the bottle it says is actually water, am sure they wouldnt get away with that
sc0ott

10th Apr 12 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think people are stupid enough to buy it if it contained water
noshua

10th Apr 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its like selling a bottle of vodka, labelled up and advertised as vodka but in the small print somewhere on the bottle it says is actually water, am sure they wouldnt get away with that

Not quite, if it was vodka until you got down to about 1/2 way and it was water, then probably.
Bart

10th Apr 12 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
I dont think people are stupid enough to buy it if it contained water

I know atleast one person who might....
Toby
Premium Member

10th Apr 12 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its to do with how they enforce breaking the FUP. Some slow speeds, others send warnings, some charge huge amounts and others do nothing
Matty SRi

11th Apr 12 at 00:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i was working in security, i used to go through my 500mb usage within about a week or 2.
Rang them up, and got an extra 750mb a month for £5 a month.
Carl

11th Apr 12 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matty SRi
When i was working in security, i used to go through my 500mb usage within about a week or 2.
Rang them up, and got an extra 750mb a month for £5 a month.

What did they call it; Unlimited plus a bit more?
Toby
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty confident that they can't charge you for exceeding a FUP in the past but now as they give bigger allowances 500mb is now stipulated as opposed to being unlimited with a FUP allowing them to charge
Carl

11th Apr 12 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think i'll give them a bell Friday, worth a shot, lifes a gamble!

New Poll