corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Lynda.com

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lynda.com
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
11th Apr 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to write some iOS apps (some for fun, some for money/customers), I've got a MacBook Pro and I've downloaded XCode.

The problem is, I come from a Visual Basic and PHP background. I know a little C++, but that's it. Apparently I need to learn Objective C...

Been looking on Lynda.com and their video tutorials on the subject by Simon Allardice seem quite good (at least the free ones you can watch anyway). You have to pay a subscription of $25 (about £15/£16) a month minimum, but it looks like you get access to all the other tutorials on there for that price too?

Does anyone here use Lynda.com? If so, thoughts? The subscription isn't a great deal of money as I look at it as an investment, I just want to make sure it's right for me and not a waste of time etc.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seem to have access to alot of Lynda tutorials, maybe I can help you if you are more specific on what tutorials you are interested in?
Sam
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one I'm particularly interested in is called "iOS SDK Essential Training (2012)" by Simon Allardice.
willay
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you got MSN or something we can talk on?
Sam
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Facebook any good mate? I haven't used MSN in years
willay
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u it is then
Dom

11th Apr 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

*cough* Java/Android would be a lot easier for you to learn over ObjC

Similar to you, I was taught Basic/VB/PHP/Java and personally I found ObjC a bit of a head fuck when I attempted to learn it a few years back for iPhone development. Ended up going down the Adobe Air route, which is a piece of pee compared to ObjC (granted not all the functionality is there though).

Have a look at o'reilly's selection of iOS dev books (they can be had 'cheap' ), they're all pretty good especially the new iOS 5 book. 'Beginning iPhone SDK Programming with Objective-C' and 'Cocoa and Objective-C: Up and Running' are worth looking at for an insight/basics.
There's also a book by Steven Kochan, 'Programming in Object-C' (something like that) that I would recommend as well.

Good luck though

p.s - The iOS dev market appears to be a bit flooded at the moment according to a few iOS dev friends. One of them is making the switch to .NET as the industry is apparently 'crying' out for them, especially in motorsport (most of it, telemetry/SECU etc, is .NET based).

[Edited on 11-04-2012 by Dom]
James

11th Apr 12 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom - do you mean mobile apps in .Net? Or just doing normal dev in .Net?
Dom

11th Apr 12 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Dom - do you mean mobile apps in .Net? Or just doing normal dev in .Net?

Normal .NET. Haven't really looked into the .NET industry but know someone that moved to a F1 team doing .NET SECU dev and they said the team was absolutely gagging for .NET devs; pays bloody well too.

Edit - I suspect WinPho .NET dev is also worth looking at

[Edited on 11-04-2012 by Dom]
Rob_Quads

11th Apr 12 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

He wants to make some money
Dom

11th Apr 12 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

He wants to make some money

Depends if sam is wanting to be a iOS dev or an app creator; you'd be correct on the latter but i'm not sure with regards to being just a dev considering everyone and their dog appears to be doing it (and stupidly cheap if you get some '10yr old Indian kid' doing it).
Sam
Premium Member

11th Apr 12 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dom

Thanks for the suggestions BTW.

Yes I'd like to make money but TBH I'm quite interested in learning about developing apps for both iOS and OS X.

I hear what you're saying about the market being flooded, but then there's always room for improvement.

I do enjoy development work just as much as fixing computers (probably a little more if I'm honest).

New Poll