corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » fencing.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author fencing.
Ben G

User status: Offline
7th Jul 12 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been wanting some decent proper fencing in my house since i bought it, but never got round to doing it.

my garden is 43ft long and 22ft wide. based on fence panels being 6ftx6ft i would need 18 fence panels if i've done my calculations properly. i would also be using concrete posts and i think they're called gravel boards as the wood stuff tends to rot, so i've been told.

i know it's hard to say how much it will all cost for supplies only (my dad, yes willay, will be doing the labour so it's free), but what would you budget for basic straight fence panels, no fancy stuff at the top and the necessary stuff to fit them?

also, would it be worthwhile asking my neighbours if they're ok with me removing their current fences? the one on my left is just a 3ft high thing with spaces in between the wood, and the one on my right (which is mine) is the same, but the neighbours have put their own fence up which is 5ft but with spaces in between.
Gary
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fence panels look gash
Gary
Premium Member

7th Jul 12 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like this would be nicer

http://fencegate.freevar.com/images/backyard%20fences-4.jpg

I'd also go asking for a contribution for the fence
Colin

7th Jul 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just told mine I was going to stick up a 6ft fence and would they like to go halves.
Ben G

7th Jul 12 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Something like this would be nicer

http://fencegate.freevar.com/images/backyard%20fences-4.jpg

I'd also go asking for a contribution for the fence

you can see through that though. no different to what i have now.

i'm a very private person and hate the fact my neighbours can see into my garden, hence the need for better fence panels.

asking to go halfs on fencing seems a good idea, but i know they will say no anyway as they don't spend a penny on their garden as it is.
mantamark

7th Jul 12 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have a look for hit and miss fence panels, they look nice. Ive put a fence up with panels but tbh i wouldnt again, going to make a fence next time, panels were warped and not all same size etc etc, might be different if id spent more than £16 on a panel though.
Dave

7th Jul 12 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fence panels are pretty ropey tbh, they just never seem to last. Much better to use posts, rails and pailings or feather edge boards. If you do hit and miss pailings tighter together you can't really see through but obviously feather edge boards give ultimate privacy.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It costs a fortune to do with concrete posts. They are so much better and sturdy and easy to replace a panel if one gets blown out by wind etc.

The only setback with concrete posts and sliding panels is that they rattle like fuck

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Bonney

8th Jul 12 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think we paid £17 a panel from b&q think they are 6x5's we got. They sell exactly the same ones in wickes and homebase probably a few quid cheaper (Only found this out as they were all on a wagon at work, full of the same panels going to three local shops!)

As for the concrete posts, Go to a local fencing supplier, they work out cheaper than the big name stores, I think some places make their own wooden panels so you may fall lucky and get them at a discount price.

Best way to stop them arttling is to either space the posts slightly narrower or to knock in some wedges in the top corners like we did, Never had one rattle or blow out since we have done it.

[Edited on 08-07-2012 by Bonney]
chris_uk
Premium Member

8th Jul 12 at 13:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Concrete posts at 8ft are about £11 each i think thats what i payed when i ordered 100 of them.

You will probably need 1 1/2 bags postcrete for each post. Cant remember how much a bag is probably £3 ish

New Poll