corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » is anyone on here in the aircraft maintenance industry

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author is anyone on here in the aircraft maintenance industry
Bonzai

User status: Offline
29th Apr 03 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos i need sum help with my college work lol

u2u me please if u think u can help

cheers guys and gals
MikeH

29th Apr 03 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm doing a degree in mechanical engineering...... why don't you ask what you want to ask
Black Corsa SRi

29th Apr 03 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm an apprentice avionics engineer at man airport mate. What do ya need to know!

[Edited on 29-04-2003 by Black Corsa SRi]
Bonzai

29th Apr 03 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need to do about 15 NVQs in the next 4 weeks and i got loads of sheets but cant answer all the questions. obviously some of the stuff is relevant to particular aircraft as i work on 747, but the company also service 777. Heres a list of main questions im stuck on. any help is appreciated!

What is the health and safety notice that was recently circulated RE: engine transportation about? (i dont know how recent that is!)

What is important to ensure before the aircraft is docked in maintenance bay

what is significant about the red handrails (i think it means they can be dropped to increase clearance)

who can aperate moveable docking (i assume this is people who have had relevant training and/or certfied)

what significant activity is carried out on the aircraft undercarriege to dock the aircaft (chocks??)

The 777 spiner assembly uses different length/weight bolts to 747, why?

Why does the elevator PCP have different hydraulic supplies to it (backups system? one for return line?)

the outboard ailerons move up further than down, does the elevator do the same? if not, why?

What safety precautions/PPe should be observed and why(pressumably cos it contains hydraulic fluid)

On what principle does the fire bottle switch work?

What are your responsibilities to H&S when working on fire bottles(CBs tagged and pulled?)

How are fire bottles tested for serviceability? (weighed?)

On 747-400, what indications do you get for discharged bottle? (orange or red message on upper EICAS?)

What is CPF (corrosion preventative fluid?) and what is purpose? (prevent corrosion?!?!)

what maintenance manual; chapter covers it application(ATA 100 chapter)

What is the purpose of the CCL/CCR (component control log? keep track of rotary componants?)

what essential informmation goes on CCL? (part number etc?)

what is difference between bonded and quarantine stores?

what labels and where are placed on CCL if you are returning a squib from fire detection?

What is anodisin? what examples of use on 747?

why might we prefer primer to zinc chromate?

List the steps you should take to take a bare aluminium alloy to complete surface finish

Cheers for any help u can provide, my apprenticeship my rely on me gettin these NVQs!!
Black Corsa SRi

29th Apr 03 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who u doin your apprenticeship with mate? I'm with My Travel Aircraft engineering at Man Aiport!

oh no your questions seem mechanically biased!, not my forte! hence i'm an avionics engineer, but i'll help best i can!

WHO CAN OPERATE MOVEABLE DOCKING - As u say relevant training and/or company aproval

WHAT SIGNIFICANT ACTIVITY IS CARRIED OUT ON THE AIRCRAFT UNDERCARRAGE TO DOCK THE AIRCRAFT
As u say chocks but they could also be wanting you to say stuff like ground lock pins too?

OUTBOARD AILERONS MOVE UP FURTHER THAN DOWN, DOES THE ELECATOR DO SAME? IF NOT WHY?
It doesnt i dont think (but depends what aircraft it talking about) i think this is asking you to talk about differential aielorns but i'm not sure, have u any idea if its refering to a specific aircraft?

WHAT SAFETY PRECAUTIONS/PPE SHOULD BE OBSERVED AND WHY?
Whats this referrring to specifically? If its hydraulics then usual precautions when usimg skydrol i assume, goggles, gloves and barrier cream, wash off skin imediately, can be slippy under foot, absorbant fibre (chicken s**t) down if spillage? ETC and can always put see the COSH manual if u want some brownie points too! LOL

ON WHAT PRINICPLE DOES A FIRE BOTTLE SWITCH WORK
Could help ya out and explain but i may not get it 100% your best looking it up in AMM 26-20-00

RESPONSIBILITIES HEALTH AND SAFETY ON FIRE BOTTLES
Yeah CB's pulled and tagged, but i'd say do not operate warnings on fire handles etc, plus if its not essential that u need it i'd disconnect squib so that bottle can not be fired misakenly, and not forgetting to make sure theres no voltage on the plug (with a multimeter) before reconnecting (that bit very important!) especially if been performing squib test!

INDICATIONS FOR DISCHARGED FIRE BOTTLE
Dont work 747 so not sure for that but in general yeah i'd say message on EICAS maybe, and possibly also some sort of indication on the fire handel somewhere, but i'll be honest a while since i done a squib test or anythin so your best refering to AMM for that! 26-20-00 again cause i not 100% my answer correct

CPF QUESTION
Yeah as u say prevents corrosion but i assume it needs a fuler answer not 100% what looking for though!

ATA CHAPTER FOR CPF
I'd assume it'll be somewhere in servicing 12-00-00 but not 100% where! LOL Again i'd need check up at work!

PURPOSE OF CCL/CCR
I think it stands for component change log/record to be honest, but u could be right. But as u said its to keep track of rotables etc, when you change a componet you right in part number, GRN/batch numer of new and old part and location of where its installed

ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
As above part numer, batch number, GRN location etc

DIF BETWEEN BONDED AND QUARANTINE STORES
Bonded is serviceable items (with a form1 etc), where as quarantine is where unidnetified or untested/ non-form 1ed items go until they can be tested or issued a form 1 etc and their history can be traced. There a lot more to it than that but thats the general jist of it!

ANDODISING
Again not sure for 747 cause dont work them but anodising in general is applying a coating of metal to another metal using electricity

Hope this helps these are the only questions i can answer straight off! This is all from memory so if i've made any stupid mistakes then sorry! But fairly sure its all correct but u should realy check AMM etc, as being an engineer yourself u should know this should always be done, i'll have a look at the other q's too and look in AMM etc try find out but if u got access to a hanager environment too ask some LAE's etc and check the manuals yourself thats best way i think!
Bonzai

29th Apr 03 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers for the answers mate. im doing an apprentcieship with british airways matenance cardiff, its BAs maintenance facility for 747 and 777 aircraft. im in my second year of 4 year apprenticeship. at the end of it they reckon we will have JAR 66 along with BTEC, C&G 201 and NVQ level 2 & 3. should have BTEC by christmas but i reckon they are talking out of their arses with JAR 66. im not in the hanger at the moment, i got 4 weeks left of my time in college then i will get 3+1/2 months experience on the aircraft along with near 5 months last year. i will have appraisals soon thats why i need help so they dont chuck me off! Thanks again,,,
Bonzai

29th Apr 03 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive only worked on 747 properly and that should be the relevant aircraft, however i have also worked on a piper aztec (Dont ask, its just a large piece of sh!te in college) and the questions could also relate to that
Black Corsa SRi

29th Apr 03 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a prob mate good look with it! I'm doing my JAR 66 at the mo!

Oh the 777 bolts (in the spiner) question could be to do with balanceing but i'm not sure!

Also I didnt se the one on diff hydraulic supplies (about PCP) must have missed it b4. Yeah it could be back up but there could be other reasons as well, i'll try and find out cause like I say i'm not a heavy so not really sure!
Bonzai

29th Apr 03 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats kool mate. its a pain in the ass cos i have no access to the maintenance manuals cos we just had our passes renewed and they wont be ready until i actually start work with BA. I just have to ask teachers in college and they are all stuck up ex-raf nobs! if u ever need any help, dont hesitate to ask cos i can find out stuff from lecturers and employees when(or if) they let me in
Black Corsa SRi

29th Apr 03 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kewl cheers mate! If u need help again with any mroe stuff let me know too! Us appi's gotta stick 2gether! LOL Bet ya cant wait get on the shop floor I couldn't LOL
Bonzai

29th Apr 03 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah. college sux! last time i was workin in the hanger i luved it. being trapped in college for nearly 6 months earnin 78 quid a week bites. its so dull and they give us the shitty piper aztec to work on. workin on 747 rules, seat compression test has got to be my favourite job, especially in business class. i can highly recomend the flat beds/seats on British Airways!
Black Corsa SRi

30th Apr 03 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL seat compression test wait to they start giving u internal/external ligthing, & IFE (if u avionics) or lubeing & Panneling (if u a heavy) they're favourite apprentice jobs! LOL

But yeah the hangar is 1000's times better then college! More money too! LOL
Bonzai

30th Apr 03 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like workin on the servicing team that works on our aircraft outside the hanger. APU runs are great, 2 hours of doing nothing on an empty plane with nobody to check up on you. absolutely great. I tell u the worst job i ever had to do is changing the engine mounting bolts on 747, pain in the ass. cut my hands to shreds last time cos there just aint no room to manouvre. Ill be doing avionics in my third year but i have seen guys doing IFE checks. must be so hard working your way through 500 odd seats!
Black Corsa SRi

30th Apr 03 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL yeah its so much hard work, with the inflight video on! LOL when ever I go video shop its like er i've seen that at work! LOL@ APU runs yeah engine runs are good for that too! I've been stook on one all day once! (no.3 wouldnt start when we were in run bay!) LOL. I enjoy doing mods and function tests more a bit more interesting!
Bonzai

30th Apr 03 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats kool. i havent dun to much technical. they dont like to let the apprentices run wild when we are just starting. hopefully it will be better this year
Black Corsa SRi

30th Apr 03 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL nah thats how ya end up with broken aircraft!

New Poll