corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Council garages and electricity.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Council garages and electricity.
Scotty_B

User status: Offline
26th Jul 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a council garage at the top of my street and the leccy has gone off.

It uses low power/watt (special) bulbs so i guessing it doesn't have a 240v feed.

Does anyone know anything about the likely powers source as I want to add a strip light.

[Edited on 26-07-2012 by Scotty_B]
Gary
Premium Member

26th Jul 12 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a generator
Scotty_B

27th Jul 12 at 08:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na not really an option.

Took these last night to see it anyone has any info. Would love to run normal house appliances in the garage.

Thanks
John

27th Jul 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Says 250v AC?

I don't know anything about it but that would suggest standard voltage, I can't really see them converting it.

Would just need an earth.
baza31

27th Jul 12 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's 100% normal voltage? Prob find the fuse wires gone 2 min job
p4ult

28th Jul 12 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely if it's a council garage and you pay rent for it then they should fix it for you?
Root

30th Jul 12 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You shouldn't run sockets off a lighting circuit and it's likely they only have lighting circuits installed in the garages so you're out of luck, sorry

[edit] it can be done, and can work, but it's illegal and not advised

[Edited on 30-07-2012 by Root]
Scotty_B

31st Jul 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry it's an ex-council garge, I actually own it.

It also has this as part of the same wiring:

If it could even power a radio I'd be happy.

Root

31st Jul 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Locate the circuit breaker and find which of the two 15A fuses operates the lighting. Remove the other fuse and get a 32A fuse ready to pop in here, but don't put it in until the installation is ready to power up.

When you buy new wiring these days the colours are:
Brown (old red) - LIVE (dangerous)
Blue (old black) -NEUTRAL (Still dangerous)
Green/yellow (think it's always been this) (used to protect the circuit)

Buy yourself some mini-trunking and decide where you would like your sockets (you can have as many as you like), mini trunking is stick on stuff, so stick it on with a spirit level on the wall. Then buy yourself some 2.5mm twin&earth cable and run it from the 32A fuse, very neatly in the mini trunking to where you would like a socket. If your sockets are metal, you will need to add an additional earth from the metal box to the earth in the socket fascia to protect yourself from electric shock! Use 1.5mm earth wire for this (green/yellow). If you use plastic sockets, this isn't needed. When you wire a socket, the plastic on the back on all new sockets is literally labelled with where each wire goes, it doesn't say colours, but using what I've said above (live, neutral, earth), you can work it out. Strip the wires back about 5mm using wire strippers (cheap to buy). The earth wire may not be green/yellow and may be a piece of single-core copper wire, this is your earth, you will need to pop some earth sleeving over this except the last 5mm where you want to put this in the socket terminal.

If you want multiple sockets in your garage (it's always better to put them in so you have enough, you can never have too many), then what you do is get the 2.5mm twin&earth wiring, open up your existing socket, put the wires that will feed your new socket, into the same terminals on the existing socket, (green goes with green in that terminal), blue with blue, brown with brown, then run the cabling to your socket in mini trunking, and wire in. Simples. Then if you want an additional socket, run it off the last socket created.

Theoretically you can have as many sockets on a circuit as you like, the only problem is you can still overload the circuit, for example if you had a shower and cooker on one circuit, it could easily overload.
To give you an idea of how not to overload a circuit: most houses have 2x 32A circuits, cookers and showers are normally on seperate circuits as they require high power.

Enjoy electricity in your garage, PM me if you have any problems

Btw that installation looks very dated, I'd reccommended replacing the wiring of the light circuit too, you'll need 1.5mm twin & earth to do so. Just put the new wires where the old ones were and bare in mind the colour changes.

Few pointers to keep wiring legal:
-You need to strip the wires up to where they enter the internal of the socket or as near as practically possible.
-If you run wiring under the surface, try to keep it in the corners of the garage when going across or down.
-Secure the wiring with sufficient clips to support it.

Alternatively if you just want to run a radio or have basic electric and keep it very cheap, then knock the power off, take the front cover off that old socket thingy, take out the cables, buy a plastic socket, put the red wire in where it says live or L1, blue in neutral or L2 and earth should say earth or have the earth symbol. That way you can use the existing wiring to run modern appliances and only have to buy a socket

Saying that though, you may need a couple of wall plugs and screws to secure the socket in place on the wall, but that is all. Hope I've helped!

[Edited on 31-07-2012 by Root]
Scotty_B

31st Jul 12 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers

Sounds like a mission to get a hoover to work. as I know as much about leccy than I o about brain surgery.

Changing a socket is about my limit.

Thanks
Root

31st Jul 12 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In that case do the latter method, you could do it in 5 minutes, just be sure that the electric is off when you do it. All you need to do is buy a socket, drill holes in the wall, pop in wall plugs, screw socket to wall, put existing wires in socket terminals, screw socket closed (when doing this last part, take care not to snap the box by overtightening, very easy to do, just grab screwdriver with thumb and finger and tighten gently)
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, all the red wired need to goto the live in the back.

Instead i'd use a fused spur before the socket on that shit. Its well retro.

[Edited on 31-07-2012 by Gary]
Scotty_B

31st Jul 12 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only probelm I can see is how to get the leccy off. Would removing the big white fuse be enough.

My garage is part of a group of 25 and can't find a main box.
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Touching L and N would trip it out

Apart from that i'd ring the council, unless your unmetered. then i'd keep quiet
Scotty_B

31st Jul 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My garage is ex-council so not metered.

Don't want them pulling the power completely so staying away.

I'll wire the plug that's there and if it goes bang oh well.
Root

31st Jul 12 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removing the fuse should stop the supply if that's where it's coming from. Best to check with a voltmeter or something to be safe and use insulated screwdrivers if you have them
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 19:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive completely misread your initial post. Remove fuse as you have then change the fitting for whatever then bang fuse back in. Simple as that. A socket would be harder as you'd have to work live
Root

31st Jul 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Ive completely misread your initial post. Remove fuse as you have then change the fitting for whatever then bang fuse back in. Simple as that. A socket would be harder as you'd have to work live

or take that supply fuse out? DW about working on live electrics, wear rubber boots and use insulated screwdrivers and don't touch it with your hands or face. It's easily done so stay awake when working near it
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 21:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He cant find main isolator...
John

31st Jul 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Telling someone who obviously isn't clued up on it to not worry about live electrics is stupid, stupid advice.
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dosent hurt much unless you get stuck anyway.
Root

31st Jul 12 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
He cant find main isolator...

Ah right, read this thread earlier. Hmm. Meh, only way to get leccy in there is to change that old circle plug to a modern day one...on live electrics, like I said wear rubber safety boots and use a insulated terminal screwdriver to do the work, or hire an electrician, if you find a local, cheap electrician, they may only want £20 to do the job as it'd only take 10 minutes to do. Plus they are qualified, insured and competent to do this kind of thing
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can still buy round pin plugs. Used in pubs etc for lamps. May be easiest way tbh. Whack a bit of flex and a plug on your strip lighta and away you go
Root

31st Jul 12 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gary, Would this fit that weird socket?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-AMP-ROUND-PIN-SOUTH-AFRICAN-PLUG-TO-UK-EURO-SOCKET-TRAVEL-ADAPTOR-/221071792727?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item3378e7da57

Although it only provides 15A or 3600W of electricity, but from what you're describing you want to use it for, it sounds sufficient and could be easy fix possibly OP?
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jul 12 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can only put a 13amp fuse in a plug anyway.

Cant say if it'd fit but looks about right. Hes pictured a plug thou ive just noticed so would be best to use that

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll