corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » C20XE - Crank out flywheel off

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author C20XE - Crank out flywheel off
dragon2309

User status: Offline
   24th Sep 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, currently working on an XE that im planning on rebuilding for next year. It's on a stand atm, just the block, head off, pistons/rods out, timing gear off (mostly). I need to get the block sent off to a machine shop soon and want the crank out and flywheel off.

Whats the best way to go about this? Baring in mind I dont have air tools or an impact gun or anything..

Also with the flywheel, its mounted on the stand, so would need to be lifted on the crane temprarily to get flywheel off... But I can see it just moving about and turning round when i try and hang off the end of a breaker bar getting the flywheel bolts out.

Any advice? Methods? Tips? Am I missing a trick or something?

Cheers all, dave
Jamie-C

24th Sep 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Impact gun would be the easiest way but you said you don't have acces to one so that rules that out.

You could try using 2 sockets, one to work against yourself on another flywheel bolt, but when you get to the last one you've got a problem

Worst case scenario, lock a pair of vice grips onto the pulley.
andy_mk3

24th Sep 12 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put a bar of some sort though a gearbox mounting hole, then use a pry bar or strong screwdriver in the ring gear and against the bar, will require 2 people to do it but it works, that's how I torque them up anyway.

To get mine off I used a real cheap and nasty 12v impact gun, I mean the sort of thing you might see for £9.99 in Lidl, it got the crank and flywheel bolts out amazingly
dragon2309

24th Sep 12 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, ok, think i might have to get creative then like you say. I was considering buying a small compressor and some cheap airtools. Can get semi-decent looking 2.5HP 25L tank compressors for around £100. It would defiantely solve the problem..

I'm up at the garage tomorrow so will have a look see if i can't wedge something in the ring gear to jam it. How about a hammer or something on the actual crank itself, isnide the crank casing, could damage it i guess...

Thanks for replies, appreciated.

dave
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made a tooth like thing that I put in to one of the bolts that holds it to the stand and then across to the flywheel which locked it in place

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
jay26

24th Sep 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Block of wood wedged in the crank webs
dragon2309

24th Sep 12 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds handy as tbh, but I cant make stuff like that, dont have the knowledge or the quipment for fabrication work

I'll sort it somehow, even if it does end up me just buying a compressor and air gun for about £150...
dragon2309

24th Sep 12 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jay - i was edging towards trying that tomorrow, lol... Wont help it being on the crane for when i want flywheel off, lol, but yeh
jay26

24th Sep 12 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dragon2309
jay - i was edging towards trying that tomorrow, lol... Wont help it being on the crane for when i want flywheel off, lol, but yeh

Turn the block upside down and get someone to stand on it while undoing the flywheel bolts
Kieran
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 21:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had same problem. Just took it off all as one. Crank and flywheel.
dragon2309

24th Sep 12 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keiran, that was going to be my next question actually, after thinking it rhoguh in my head. Once crank pulley is off, i just take the main caps off and pull crank and flywheel out?

Does crank pulley even need to come off?

[Edited on 24-09-2012 by dragon2309]
Kieran
Premium Member

24th Sep 12 at 22:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can take it all out as one unit I think mate. I took the pulley of tho. But might be able to do without removing it mate
dragon2309

24th Sep 12 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Will have a gander tomorrow then. Might just deal with the flywheel removal at a later date, lol. At least with it out the block I can get that sent off to be bored out

cheers all
Mark.W

24th Sep 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can buy a proper flywheel locking tool off ebay,iv bought one but havn't used it yet.
monkeytwizzel

24th Sep 12 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone holding a good screwdriver through a hole in the block in to the ringgear teeth when you undo it should do,take it of first flywheel and crank joined still is quite a lump.

New Poll