corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » My garden Project

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My garden Project
antscorsa

User status: Offline
7th Oct 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So for my first home I brought a complete wreck of a victorian 2 up 2 down.
I'm working away on this and probably deserves its own thread but here is how my garden project is coming along.

So it went from this

To this in a few weekends here and there whilst doing up the house.

quite proud of myself as it was a serious amount of work and probably about 1 tonne of concrete and an asbestos shed was found and cleared under all that weed.

Anyone know any good weed killer for vine weed? the stuff is an absolute nightmare.

Future plans are some decking, lawn and a nice shed at the end of the garden.
antscorsa

7th Oct 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apologies for the large pics i don't know how to resize them from my tumblr account.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

7th Oct 12 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well done clearing all that mate must have taken ages. Chemical control of bindweed is best done at full growth and takes a few applications, is a bugger to get rid of! If i were you i would cover the entire area with black plastic (the thick stuff) but this will take 12 months to kill it off but you could still do the decking in the meantime but make sure you put membrane and chippings underneath your deck to stop it growing through. i'd personally give it the 12 months with black plastic where you want to turf otherwise it will grow through and spoil your turf
Ben G

7th Oct 12 at 23:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jesus christ i didn't believe it was the same garden at first.

well done on that mate. honestly don't know how some people let their gardens get that bad.

that vine weed stuff is an absolute bastard to get rid of. i have some growing at the bottom of my garden. i keep cutting it back and squirting weed killer on it but it just keeps coming back. it's only in a small flower bed though so it's not too bad.
Tom J
Premium Member

7th Oct 12 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what weed killer are using Ben?? Glysophate is the best for it but it needs a few applications on the leaves whilst its growing ideally so it'll take it down to its roots
Ben G

7th Oct 12 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

roundup i think it's called. bought it from b&q. it's just a general weed killer rather than for anything specific.

i'll have a look out for glysophate, cheers. it's been a 2 and a half year battle so far i am winning though as it hardly grows at all now.
Tom J
Premium Member

8th Oct 12 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty sure roundup contains it anyway, have a look at the bottle. the branded ones such as roundup just make a markup on the chemicals.
oh and Ants, looks like you may have a bit of Japanese Knotweed in there aswell, if i were you i'd get some plastic down asap as you dont want that spreading
antscorsa

8th Oct 12 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It did take a me a few good weekends i must admit and still some more levelling work on the fence, panels are just in screwed in for now whilst the posts set.
Im sure i have vine weed but whats the difference between that and japanese knotweed. I must admit when i was taking up the soil there was a lot of root type weeds deep in the soil. DId manage to get a lot of it up though.
Tom J
Premium Member

9th Oct 12 at 01:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Japanese knotweed is lethal, it can grow through concrete. Some mortgage companies wont lend if its on your land. you can't dispose of it at the tip as its illegal to transport it without a licence iirc.
AndyKent

9th Oct 12 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the fact in the original you can see where some nice flowers were originally planted and then over the years nettles have taken over

Madness.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

10th Oct 12 at 07:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fooooook, that was a bit over grown!!!! Good work!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Fad

11th Oct 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ant bloody hell long time!

Looks great mate where abouts have you bought?

SAL
Premium Member

26th Oct 12 at 17:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bindweed will not tollarate growing in grass. It normally grows in bed areas that are not weeded or turned over regulary.

It is a problem but you CAN turf straight over it, it cant defend against being mowed once, twice a week. If your planning flower beds then thats where it will once again take over. It has bright white roots which act as a network and can travel for a good few metres from where they sprout from the ground.

If you doing decking over it make sure you use a think geotex membrane and consider doubling it up, dont buy crap from B&Q, its on the open market with good thickness for diffrent uses

If you want to spray it first before doing any works, get GALLUP 490 from ace lawns. 5l will mix up enough to do a whole housing estate so you might want to go halfs with someone lol make the dossage 250ml to 5l of water in a can with a rose head. This will kill of active growth on the growing season thus making the soil / ground easy to work on without it growing all over

As for a membrane over it for a year...wont make any difference from experience
VegasPhil
Premium Member

27th Oct 12 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does any one know what will kill Horse weed?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

New Poll