corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Sealing an XE sump

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sealing an XE sump
dragon2309

User status: Offline
4th Nov 12 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evening all, rebuilding an XE and come to put the sump back on, both surfaces are sparkly clean and got a new 8v bonded baffle plate to go on. Will this be enough to stop it leaking, as I really dont want it to start seeping 10 miles down the road. What do people use to seal it with? Any preferred sealants?? Someone else said Loctite 5900? That any good?

Cheers, dave.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best trick is to do the bolts in the right order and not too tight.
dragon2309

4th Nov 12 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My XE haynes is at my garage, is the correct tightening sequence in there? If that'll work then thats great, as I'd rather not use any sealant at all, previous owner of engine put some god awful green sticky shit on there, took forever to get it all cleaned up lol..
VegasPhil
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used a genuine seal and ran some JCB Gasket Seal round the edge. The bastard didn't leak.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 19:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start in the middle and work outwards, same as a head.

If you have a flat pane of glass you can use, put it on that first, check its not bent.

They are about 10ft/lb, really no more than a wrist with a 1/4 drive, feels like they're too loose but going too tight is completely counter productive.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by Ian]
dragon2309

4th Nov 12 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks VegasPhil, will keep that in mind

Ian - I'll check its not warped before fitting, good call. Okay, I'll be sure not to overtighten. If its straight and flat I'll give it a go with no sealant.

Cheers
Mark.W

4th Nov 12 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you buy the shorter 8v bolts for it too?

dragon2309

4th Nov 12 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a bag of stainless bolts for it, that I got off a mate that bought them and then never used them, lol. I might just buy new ones considering the cost of them.

Good call thoguh, thanks for that...
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 21:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bolts aren't critical, they're not use-once like head bolts. Might be worth a trial fit without the sump in place though if you're worried about how far they'll go in to the block before bottoming out.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 21:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know over tightening has been covered but I cracked one on my old car by turning just a little bit more!

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Mark.W

4th Nov 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you use your normal length bolts be carefull as they can crack the block when tightend due the gasket not been thick as the original cork gaskets.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by Mark.W]
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also sumps like to crack

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 21:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're cracking stuff at 10ft/lb, I'd be recalibrating the torque wrench.

Mark.W

4th Nov 12 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shorter bolts are only 73p each.I wouldn't be risking it.Got mine to be put back on with the same baffle plate & gasket and i bought the bolts too.
bigron1988

4th Nov 12 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i just used the 8v baffle plate and mine leaks, i had my zlet leaking the otherday from the cam cover so got a new gasket and the proper vauxhall selant was about £8 and its not leaked since so im going to do the same on my sump ,

can see it here

Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 12 at 22:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or measure it all with a vernier caliper, I wouldn't go for shorter bolts unless you need them, no point having less thread available.
bigron1988

4th Nov 12 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Or measure it all with a vernier caliper, I wouldn't go for shorter bolts unless you need them, no point having less thread available.

the shorter bolts come from vaux
dragon2309

4th Nov 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ben - any idea of the part number on that sealing compound?

I'll have a play with the bolts I have and see how they measure up, no idea if they're shorter ones or standard.. They're still in the sealed vaux bag with a part number, so might plug it into EPC when i have a sec and see waht they come up as

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by dragon2309]
bigron1988

4th Nov 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont mate but if i remember ill have a look tomorow , its just the gray vauxhall sealant
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

4th Nov 12 at 22:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If you're cracking stuff at 10ft/lb, I'd be recalibrating the torque wrench.

Yeah I meant if it's over tightened Not at 10ft/lb

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
dragon2309

4th Nov 12 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bigron1988
i dont mate but if i remember ill have a look tomorow , its just the gray vauxhall sealant
okay, thats brill thanks mate

back at work tomrrow which sucks but i'll be at vaux in next few days as i need a couple gaskets for the pick up pipe and dispstick, want to sort out bolts before i go so i know whats what. And ask them about the sealant.
dragon2309

10th Nov 12 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought I'd update this with some info, just incase others read throught this in the future.

C20XE Sump bolts (when using standard plate and twin cork gaskets) = M6x22mm (Part No. 90531212)

C20NE Sump bolts (Or Sump bolts for use on an XE when using the 8v plate/bonded gasket) = M6x13mm (Part No. 90531211)

You'll need 14 of them. And at the time of writing this, it cost around £11 +VAT for the bolts. Not the cheapest botls vaux have ever sold, but still, the right thing, for the right application.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Nov 12 at 23:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice one Dave, good info
Jamie-C

11th Nov 12 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First time I done mine I used gasket seal and a load went into the bolt hole and when I was tightening it cracked the block . 2nd time round I left it dry and it didn't leak a drop.
dragon2309

11th Nov 12 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I ended up using a small amount of Loctite 5699. Small bead, avoiding bolt holes for that reason, lol. We'll see how it goes, worst case, I have to do it again, no biggie.

And no probs ian.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll