corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Business selling PowerPoint templates

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Business selling PowerPoint templates
A2H GO

User status: Offline
21st Dec 12 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any money to be made or a waste of time?

Sounds sad but I enjoy creating powerpoint presentations and have quite advanced knowledge of both PowerPoint 2003 and 2010. I also have a keen eye for design and can replicate just about any idea within a slide making full use of all the functionality where required.

Having a look round all the ones on offer are a bit dull and boring with websites charging on average £15 for a decent template.

Could easily knock up a website with a load of my designs which could then double as a portfolio for possible hire work for custom designs. I'd imagine for hire work the client would require strong knowldege of other Office apps too which I have.

Problems:

- Can get some templates for free off Microsoft
- Once you've sent a template out it can be re-distributed pretty easily

AdZ9

21st Dec 12 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://graphicriver.net/category/presentation-templates/powerpoint-templates

Unless your design is better than these (done by professional graphic/web designers) I wouldn't bother.
A2H GO

21st Dec 12 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously it's a matter of opinion but I feel some of my stuff is on parr with those designs. In fact some of my stuff has more interactivity and animation, clickable pop-ups etc but perhaps they haven't included any of that in their templates as it relys on the user knowing how to edit layers in the selection pane.

To do a template of that quality I think would be around a weeks worth of work at night.

ps. I've designed website's in the past on a similar level from scratch using sliced up photoshop designs but that was just way too time consuming given my poor coding skills

[Edited on 21-12-2012 by A2H GO]
Sam
Premium Member

21st Dec 12 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is just my personal opinion, but the people I've encountered that create PowerPoint presentations usually have no eye for great design and so will just use the default templates and "clipart".

I assume you are a graphic designer Ash?

Edit - in my example above, I mean the people that create presentations for their company, not the people that create templates to sell etc.

[Edited on 21-12-2012 by Sam]
evilrob
Premium Member

21st Dec 12 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If designing's your thing and you want to earn some extra cash of an evening, set yourself up on 99designs.com

[Edited on 21-12-2012 by evilrob]
Sam
Premium Member

21st Dec 12 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spec work, noooooooooooooo!
A2H GO

21st Dec 12 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not a designer, it is something I've always wanted to do, life just didn't pan out that way.

Agree with what you're saying Sam, generally at work if you come up with an overly flashy presentation people tend to think you've got nothing better to do. That said there must be a market for it given the number of sites around.

Just working out if it's worth my time. A week to do a template and I only sell one for a fiver, probably not.
Whittie

21st Dec 12 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do them anyway, then bang them up on themeforest (or whichever category it fals under).
A2H GO

21st Dec 12 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess I've got nothing to loose bar some of my time.

New Poll