corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bodywork prep..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bodywork prep..
Aidan-Fleming

User status: Offline
21st Jan 13 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Away to start sanding down my shell etc, has anyone got any tips for me as ive never done it before?
What about the boot shuts etc, do i need to sand all in there? Wont need to prep the Bonnet, Doors, Boot or Wings as there Fiberglass.

Thanks guys
Christopher

21st Jan 13 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Things like boot shuts and stuff should just need scotching up with a scothc pad providing there is no damage to the paint and aslong as they are painting in these places (for a cheaper spray job they dont)! Anything else?

[Edited on 21-01-2013 by Christopher]
Aidan-Fleming

21st Jan 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay so just give it a rub the primer can get a hold. Why about step by step and what paper to use etc?
williamcorsa

22nd Jan 13 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you prepping it the full way, IE: all the body shop will need to do is paint it?
Aidan-Fleming

22nd Jan 13 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by williamcorsa
Are you prepping it the full way, IE: all the body shop will need to do is paint it?

Yeah I'd like to
Also need to do the inside and the engine bay
corsa120

22nd Jan 13 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no offence but if ur asking what grade paper to use id leave it to the pro's mate..... idea is to create a key for the paint to adhere to so using paper like 1000/1200 grits wont work as such as they give you a glass type finish if used with water especially! so for parts where the origional paint is fine you need to use scotch pads which will key the surface.... id recommend the grey ones! red ones for worser area's.

for area's which need treatment like for instance rust and filler you need to sand them down with power tools say and use filler so now you need much tougher grades like 80-100-240-300 etc gradually getting down to 1000-1200 then scotch it then primer it then rub it down if it needs primer again scotch it with grey scotch pad then re-prime...if its fine just scotch it with grey scotch pad and its ready to paint.

DanCobb

22nd Jan 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the fibreglass items still have the gel coat they'll need prepping too.
Aidan-Fleming

22nd Jan 13 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate will give it a bash

New Poll