corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » anyone good with subs?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author anyone good with subs?
ArdenAndy

User status: Offline
15th Feb 13 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my friends bought me a sub for my birthday in november and i fitted it with a new wiring kit, but couldnt get it working.. my dad couldnt get it working and neither could two of my friends. whats more annoying is that it works in my friends cars

bit of info about the stuff im using:
i have a Sony xplod CD player (CDX-GT25) 4x45w, 1 2v preouts for the sub and a low pass filter. the amp is a sony xplod one (XM-250X) 2/1 channel, it says MOSET on both the amp and the CD player, the wiring kit i used is good up to 300w, power and earth are both 10awg wires, the power cable having a fuse just off the battery. the power cable runs down the left side of the car and the rca and remote wires go down the right hand side.

me, my dad and two of my friends have tried the earth if everywhere possible, tried the amp remote wire in a lot of different places. when its fitted to my car we cant even get the power light to come on so im thinking there may be a problem with the power cable? when its fitted to my friends cars the power light come on bright green, could the power cable not be strong enough for the power or maybe the fuse in the fuse holder just off the battery is not big enough, the fuse is fine and so is the one in the amp.

any help would be great, a sub would really finish off my sound system, speakers can be turned right up without them distorting so they are fine, just getting so annoyed with it and will end up selling it and never getting one again if i dont sort it out soon. Thanks guys!

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See if there is power coming from the cables + and the remote cable when you switch on the head unit.
1L Nick

15th Feb 13 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check u have volts comeing though power cable an remote with a power probe

plus have u checked with a different earth wire just to b sure its not got a break in the wire inside

[Edited on 15-02-2013 by 1L Nick]
Gary
Premium Member

15th Feb 13 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a fuse in that fuse holder on the suspension turret? If so is it intact?
karisma_corsa

15th Feb 13 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't see the power cable connected in the image. You do have it in the correct terminal don't you.
csifku

16th Feb 13 at 00:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

AS i can see and guess where the red POSSITIVE wire goes, i think it goes at the NEGATIVE terminal .. :-) there is no way that wont work at the car ..
davegreen
Premium Member

16th Feb 13 at 06:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by karisma_corsa
I can't see the power cable connected in the image. You do have it in the correct terminal don't you.

check you have power at the fuse, at the amp.
check remote wire is working at the head unit and at amp.
try an earth direct to the battery tempoary to see if thats the problem.
jay26

16th Feb 13 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where does the red power cable go to in the engine bay? Think that might be your problem
BenC1985

16th Feb 13 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have put the power cable on the wrong terminal on the battery 100%. If im wrong ill come and sort it myself. Just take the cable off the terminal its on at the min and put it on the other one. Jobs a good un.

[Edited on 16-02-2013 by BenC1985]
Dave

16th Feb 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that is the amp power cable coming up behind the header tank you've wired it up to the negative.
ArdenAndy

17th Feb 13 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry guys i have defo been connecting it to the power terminal would have to be a bit of a.. well yeah to connect it to the negative in that picture the wire is tucked down the side of the battery to stop it flapping around the engine bay while im driving sub isnt even in the car but i cant be bothered digging up all the wiring again so that can stay. All of the fuses are fine, although im not actually sure what amp fuse is inside the casing by the battery is :s if the one in the amplifier is a 25amp fuse should that one be a 25 aswell? i will have to check and make sure the power cable is actually getting power through it. will be trying a different power cable outside of the car and will give it a go with a different earth. Thanks all for your ideas, have a few more things to try now
Dave

17th Feb 13 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So where is the red cable connected to?
davegreen
Premium Member

17th Feb 13 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuse at the battery shoud be slightly more than the one on the amp, 30amps would be ok. so long as its not less than the one on the amp.
csifku

17th Feb 13 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ArdenAndy
sorry guys i have defo been connecting it to the power terminal would have to be a bit of a.. well yeah to connect it to the negative in that picture the wire is tucked down the side of the battery to stop it flapping around the engine bay while im driving sub isnt even in the car but i cant be bothered digging up all the wiring again so that can stay. All of the fuses are fine, although im not actually sure what amp fuse is inside the casing by the battery is :s if the one in the amplifier is a 25amp fuse should that one be a 25 aswell? i will have to check and make sure the power cable is actually getting power through it. will be trying a different power cable outside of the car and will give it a go with a different earth. Thanks all for your ideas, have a few more things to try now

if its easier to you and cables r long enough , u can run them under the car ... use some cable tides ...
ArdenAndy

17th Feb 13 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
So where is the red cable connected to?

when the sub is in the car and i want the amp to be getting power i attack it to the positive terminal.. in that pic above i have simple tucked the wire down the side of the battery to stop it flying around the engine bay while im driving because the sub is not in the car at the moment
ArdenAndy

17th Feb 13 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davegreen
fuse at the battery shoud be slightly more than the one on the amp, 30amps would be ok. so long as its not less than the one on the amp.

Okay thats great thank you!
jonnieboy

17th Feb 13 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BenC1985
You have put the power cable on the wrong terminal on the battery 100%. If im wrong ill come and sort it myself. Just take the cable off the terminal its on at the min and put it on the other one. Jobs a good un.

[Edited on 16-02-2013 by BenC1985]

Looks like a road trip for you
Dom

17th Feb 13 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some horrible advice in here, especially the running of cables on the underneath the car

Wire it up and then use a multimeter to check the wiring in the rear - make sure you're getting 12V between your power cable and negative cable, as well as 12V (when the headunit is powered) between the remote and negative cable.

It's either dodgy cabling and you have a break somewhere or your negative to the bodywork is crud.

I'd also rule out a dodge remote from your headunit by temporarily bridging the remote and power terminals on your amp.
csifku

18th Feb 13 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Some horrible advice in here, especially the running of cables on the underneath the car

Wire it up and then use a multimeter to check the wiring in the rear - make sure you're getting 12V between your power cable and negative cable, as well as 12V (when the headunit is powered) between the remote and negative cable.

It's either dodgy cabling and you have a break somewhere or your negative to the bodywork is crud.

I'd also rule out a dodge remote from your headunit by temporarily bridging the remote and power terminals on your amp.

its not horrible advice. he said he cant be bothered of take them off again lol so put them underneath :-dd
1.0 12v povey

18th Feb 13 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try running the remote cable strait the positive if it works then u ether got it going to the wrong place on the back of the radio or the remote out put on the radio isnt working
ArdenAndy

18th Feb 13 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bridged the remote with the power and amp still does not come on, i will get hold of a multimeter and see what volts im getting im not in any rush to get it working but when im bored and have nothing else to do it will give me something to do and will be a plus if i do end up get it working, Thanks!
ArdenAndy

19th Feb 13 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would love to have a top of the range sound system but other than the sub not working i really cannot fault my headunit and standard speakers. it would be nice to have a bit more bass but im not to bothered really. i cant justify spending a lot of money on super expensive sound stuff unfortunately, although at this rate i think i will end up getting a better power/earth cable, my fitting kit cost like £20 from maplins which is more than i wanted to pay in the first place

[Edited on 19-02-2013 by ArdenAndy]
Dom

19th Feb 13 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
bridged the remote with the power and amp still does not come on, i will get hold of a multimeter and see what volts im getting im not in any rush to get it working but when im bored and have nothing else to do it will give me something to do and will be a plus if i do end up get it working, Thanks!

Dodgy ground or live then; when you get five minutes just test it with a multimeter and if need be buzz out the lengths of cabling.

Jason T - 0 gauge would be utter overkill and is just a good way of burning money for the sake of it.

csifku - Exposing power cables on the underside is a Darwin Award special
csifku

19th Feb 13 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Dodgy ground or live then; when you get five minutes just test it with a multimeter and if need be buzz out the lengths of cabling.

Jason T - 0 gauge would be utter overkill and is just a good way of burning money for the sake of it.

csifku - Exposing power cables on the underside is a Darwin Award special

i was joking mate

Use your AMP power cable to touch to the possitive on Light bulb (12v) and touch the minus(negative) to the Boot lock cos there CANT have a dodgy connection ,, .. Better bulb than multimeter as it might be for him ...
ArdenAndy

20th Feb 13 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would that light bulb technique actually work? i dont have a multimeter but know a few people who may do so i will check to make sure all the wires are getting the power they should

New Poll