corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tidying up iTunes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tidying up iTunes
Graham88

User status: Offline
31st May 13 at 01:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've spent hours over the last week sorting out my music on my computer. Renaming songs correctly, and Shazam'ing so I could add titles to the 100's of "Unknown Artist - Track 1" songs. I've done it and am happy so I imported into iTunes and it seems like I might aswell not have bothered. Alot of songs still come up with what the original file name was, it's added a "1" to the end of alot of song names, the Artists and Song Title are both in the Song title bit, it's such a mess.

I started doing it manually but it will take hours again. Has anybody done this and is there an easier way?
Cavey

31st May 13 at 05:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can auto name songs on winamp. And I'd imagine most other media players? Not sure how accurate it is though as I've not tried it
M2RTY

31st May 13 at 05:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Renaming how?

Simple file names isnt enough

I jse mp3tagit to delete all data, especially things like notes and composer etc from torrents, i then rename the files 01 - artist - track so they are the same, then use the app to set the ide data and album title. Important to set the album artist field all the same if the track artist is different so itunes sees it as one album

I meep my music in folders for albums and singles based on 45 generes, so my itunes is perfect, i have 50,000+ tracks in there. Took about a year to tidy an hour or so a week

I get really OCD over it but mp3tagit allows for case correction and cddb look ups so it names the tracks for u
sc0ott

31st May 13 at 05:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done a similar thing a while back but just edited the titles within itunes itself, not the actual mp3 file names. Also added the artwork to each song/album which took some time
Welsh Dan

31st May 13 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as M2RTYand scott. You need to do it within iTunes . I spent an age doing them all in iTunes, and any new songs are done as they're added.
Steve
Premium Member

31st May 13 at 07:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id3 tag edit
Russ

31st May 13 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

inb4id3
Cavey

31st May 13 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't need to do it in iTunes at all, just need the id3 tags done
Dom

31st May 13 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iTunes is shite at handling music/tagging and as you've found out, it doesn't take any notice of filenames

If you're using Windows then have a look at MP3 Tag; allows you to rename based on current ID3 tags or add ID3 tags based on filename and gives you the option of importing data and cover-art from Amazon, freedb, MusicBrainz etc
Also handles tagging FLAC and a few other formats which is handy.

Mac-wise, Tagr seems reasonable if you collection is MP3/MP4.

[Edited on 31-05-2013 by Dom]
Steve
Premium Member

31st May 13 at 11:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
iTunes is shite

All it needed
Graham88

31st May 13 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks guys, will give these a try. I had a feeling there would be no quick way about doing it

New Poll