corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT related rant

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT related rant
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Aug 13 at 06:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloke down the road rings us up to ask if we can help get rid of spyware on his pc. He's a vet and he never offers to help or advise when our pets are ill.

Why is IT something people assume you should help them with if you work in it? I always refuse btw for this very reason.
James

21st Aug 13 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also hate this.

The most frustrating part is that they assume the only job in I.T is fixing computers.

I'm a software developer/business analyst and we actually have an I.T helpdesk that I call with any PC problems. But because I work in I.T, every assumes I know how to fix computers.
SXIBrad

21st Aug 13 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
But because I work in I.T, every assumes I know how to fix computers.

This.

I work on a Support helpdesk for 7 specific HR systems. I have qualifications in general Windows troubleshooting and configurating. However since I work for a company with 12,000 employees, I don't have the access rights to do anything to anyones Windows log ons or email accounts. Yet everyone comes to me saying "How can I recover files, I accidentally deleted it". I'm just like "Ring the IT service desk"
ed

21st Aug 13 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get this at work, along with all the other developers. Just because I write C# and SQL all day long doesn't mean that I know how to fix the VPN connection on your computer

[Edited on 21-08-2013 by ed]
Balling
Premium Member

21st Aug 13 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I DON'T work in IT and everyone assumes that because I'm not a complete retard when it comes to tech, I must know everything about computers.

Trouble is, I haven't owned a windows PC for near a decade, so I struggle to perform even the simplest troubleshooting.

Dom

21st Aug 13 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think anyone that remotely touches anything IT related get's it; you need to nip it in the bud early though and just redirect everyone to Google or IT department
Nismo

21st Aug 13 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its when you get a call from a mate you havent spoken to for months / years, before you answer you know its partially going to involve removing spyware from something
Neo

21st Aug 13 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get this a lot, particularly what Nismo said. People messaging me on facebook because their boyfriends sisters laptop has a virus, or because their work wont let them install something on a laptop and they want it to work. Literally had one guy messaging me at half 11 at night asking if he could bring his laptop over for me to have a look at.

What is worse is that, although my main role isn't to sit fixing peoples issues all day, I have to know how to in the event that the person on site can't do it.

Lately I've been saying fine, but I need it for x many days and it'll cost you y. 50% of the time people say "oh, i'll have a look myself" or "oh, i didn't realize it'd take that long", and the rest they pay up
JonnyJ

21st Aug 13 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if its real who gives a shit? far worse things happen everyday than a guy asking for IT help you will never even know or speak to. It does not need to appear on facebook & CS page multiple times.
Nismo

21st Aug 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also what really bugs me is I have mates that are tradesman, if I ask them to do some work for me, they charge me mates rates something like 10quid an hour, then when i have to fix there computers / gadgets and i charge back at the same rate i always get

"well i didnt realise it would be that much"

that drives me mad, there skils are worth 10 quid an hour but anyone in IT isn't
A2H GO

21st Aug 13 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Even if its real who gives a shit? far worse things happen everyday than a guy asking for IT help you will never even know or speak to. It does not need to appear on facebook & CS page multiple times.

John

21st Aug 13 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do fix computers and I'm asked constantly, anywhere I go.

I don't charge mates/mates wouldn't charge me for doing anything they could do for me though.
Ian W

21st Aug 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
also what really bugs me is I have mates that are tradesman, if I ask them to do some work for me, they charge me mates rates something like 10quid an hour, then when i have to fix there computers / gadgets and i charge back at the same rate i always get

that drives me mad, there skils are worth 10 quid an hour but anyone in IT isn't

But when you work in 'I.T' everyone assumes you love computers and it's a fun night in fixing them.
A2H GO

21st Aug 13 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In our company the majority of people in IT can't even work Excel properly let alone fix anything. It's made up of about 5% technical people and the rest wannabe project managers.
SXIBrad

21st Aug 13 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

But when you work in 'I.T' everyone assumes you love computers and it's a fun night in fixing them.

Too right! haha. I wouldn't expect money off a friend for helping them, much like they don't expect any for helping me. If I was to ask my friend, who is a joiner to make me a desk, I would pay for materials, buy some beers and food and help him with it.

Much like what they would do if I was fixing their computer or router etc.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Aug 13 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I do fix computers and I'm asked constantly, anywhere I go.

I don't charge mates/mates wouldn't charge me for doing anything they could do for me though.

If I do anything for mates I usually charge them as it stops them taking the piss. I mean I wont charge them anything like what it should cost, but a trivial amount keeps it sensible. EG I fitted some coilovers to my mates golf for 30 quid
John

21st Aug 13 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will your mate charge you 30 quid next time he does something for you?

It obviously doesn't always work out 1:1 and there will be more takers than givers.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Aug 13 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My problem is I'm generally Competent at most things so I do most stuff myself. Can't remember the last time I needed a mate for anything.
Bart

21st Aug 13 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive not read all comments above, but why would a vet simply offer to look at your pets?

Have you approached him and asked for help with your Pets?

If not, it doesn't seem comparable imo.
Steve
Premium Member

21st Aug 13 at 16:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah when we've seen him we have said our dog has X wrong with him, not interested, just says oh right
Bart

21st Aug 13 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in that case, yes hes a cnut
John

21st Aug 13 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
My problem is I'm generally Competent at most things so I do most stuff myself. Can't remember the last time I needed a mate for anything.

I'm the same but there are trades you need a certificate for, gas being one.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

25th Aug 13 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
In our company the majority of people in IT can't even work Excel properly let alone fix anything. It's made up of about 5% technical people and the rest wannabe project managers.

Haha that rings a bell! I'm quite happy doing the tech, we've gone from few 1st line, few 2nd line, few 3rd line to people who shouldn't be anymore than 1st line now 3rd line or managers, myself as only 2nd line and everyone else thinking they are a project managers, IT director doesn't have a clue.

Glad not just our place full of PM wannabes.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
John

25th Aug 13 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT managers never ever have any idea about IT. Another job title that you know exactly what they'll be like without hearing anything else.
Russ

25th Aug 13 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you sound like you know the it manager for my organisation

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll