corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Windows Phone-rs - Get Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview now!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Windows Phone-rs - Get Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview now!
evilrob
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Apr 14 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's how:
http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-81-now-available

It's ace.
Brett
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 18:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything in particular that should excite me? I'm really happy with it how it stands tbh
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quiet Hours - silence the phone between specific times; really configurable - you can have different quiet hours on different days if you want.

It has a notification centre - so no more missed 'toast' messages; they'll all appear in the notifications pulldown.

You can alter the volume of phone notifications (text/calls/alarms) separately from app volume (music etc).

Swipey keyboard interface - worlds fastest phone input method (Guinness Book of Records current champion).

Cortana - Microsoft's answer to Siri (although you do have to set your phone region to United States to use it at the moment - it's worth playing with at least).

You can now set a photo as your Start screen background.

It all generally feels a bit faster.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, Internet Explorer can now remember passwords as well, which is handy.
Cavey

14th Apr 14 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
Guinness Book of Records current champion

There really are records for everything nowadays aren't there

(Apologies that this has little relevance to the thread title)
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
quote:
Guinness Book of Records current champion

There really are records for everything nowadays aren't there

(Apologies that this has little relevance to the thread title)

Was previously held by Samsung's Galaxy S4 keyboard apparently.
Brett
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Quiet Hours - silence the phone between specific times; really configurable - you can have different quiet hours on different days if you want.

It has a notification centre - so no more missed 'toast' messages; they'll all appear in the notifications pulldown.

You can alter the volume of phone notifications (text/calls/alarms) separately from app volume (music etc).

Ok point proven All the above I likey.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:

Ok point proven All the above I likey.

Yeah, those are pretty much the things I was happy about too; I don't think there's anything about Windows Phone I don't like now!
Brett
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 19:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I seriously love this phone The whole look and feel with the tiles and stuff, everything animated and flicking about everywhere Right up my street. The gap is seriously small on the app market too, nothing I can think of that I'm having to do without.

[Edited on 14-04-2014 by Brett]
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The gap is seriously small on the app market too, nothing I can think of that I'm having to do without.

It really boils my piss that even now you can't hear the phrase "Windows Phone" without being accompanied by words to the effect of "but it hasn't got any apps" - I caught a bit of a Gadget Show the other day, and that grey-haired posh one was going on about how he liked the camera and screen on the 1520 but it didn't have any apps so he'd go for an Android phablet instead. It's not fucking true!!
Rob_Quads

14th Apr 14 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well it sort of is..

My two most used apps at the moment and....

Sky Go....not supported at all
BBC iPlayer - Has an app but no program downloads

So yes many apps are available but there is still some major ones that aren't.
evilrob
Premium Member

14th Apr 14 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
well it sort of is..

My two most used apps at the moment and....

Sky Go....not supported at all
BBC iPlayer - Has an app but no program downloads

So yes many apps are available but there is still some major ones that aren't.

Sky are bad at releasing apps generally - it took them 18 months from the launch of the Android Phone app to release a version for Android tablets, which only arrived in December 2013!

That said, you can have been able to get Sky Go for Windows Phone in Italy since December 2013, so hopefully a wider rollout isn't far away:
http://www.wpcentral.com/sky-releases-go-app-windows-phone-italy

I have no defence for BBC iPlayer. Their Windows 8 support isn't great either.

A2H GO

15th Apr 14 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Windows Phones biggest problem is it being called Windows phone.
Brett
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 08:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fortunately I'm a normal person who has a tv for watching television shows.
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Fortunately I'm a normal person who has a tv for watching television shows.

Thank fuck for that, thought I was the only one left who watches telly ON AN ACTUAL FUCKING TELLY. I even sometimes watch shows at the actual time they're broadcast!
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO

Explain.
Brett
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's too much on at all times to ever be watching repeats and I'm never that desperate to see a show, got better things to do. I managed for around 25+ years without watching tv when i was out and will continue to do so lol
Cavey

15th Apr 14 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use SkyGo to stop the arguing, she can have the TV to watch her garbage, I can watch the footy on my phone. (Again slightly off topic to the windows phone)
A2H GO

15th Apr 14 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Explain.

Normal people associate Windows with the thing they're forced to use at work or when they want to go on the web. The same thing that's clunky, slows down over time, gets full of viruses, constantly needs updating and occasionally breaks for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying that's representative of the Windows Phone software but perception is everything.
John

15th Apr 14 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not a recent perception of Windows desktop OS either tbh.
evilrob
Premium Member

15th Apr 14 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Explain.

Normal people associate Windows with the thing they're forced to use at work or when they want to go on the web. The same thing that's clunky, slows down over time, gets full of viruses, constantly needs updating and occasionally breaks for no apparent reason.

I'm not saying that's representative of the Windows Phone software but perception is everything.

Gotcha. There is still a negative association with the "Windows' brand - fair point. Now Microsoft have bought Nokia, I'd like to see a Surface-branded phone - I think Surface is generally perceived as a bit cooler than the Windows brand.

I think the tides are turning though - IE11 for example is actually really good. Windows hasn't been clunky and slow since Vista, really - Windows releases from 7 onwards have been great, and Windows 8.1 Update 1 has come a long way to being a decent user experience for both touch and mouse/keyboard users, a lot of the complaints from prior versions are gone now.
A2H GO

15th Apr 14 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd beg to differ, I run windows 8 on my dell and have done since it's came out, when I fist installed it it started up in no time at all and was really snappy. Now it's virtually unusable, I literally turned it on 20 mins ago and I'm looking at a screen that says "configuring windows 30% complete" and having to post this on my phone, when all I really want to do is watch Game of Thrones. My perception of windows has got pretty much no better in the 10 years I've been using it.

Windows phone and the Surface might be awesome but as a normal person looking to spend money why would I take the risk based in what I already think of Windows. Maybe that's just me and other people actually think windows is 'ok' :shudders: I find it weird that people see having full windows on a mobile device as a good thing, at least a stripped down mobile version makes me think it might actually be ok but when I think 'full windows' I immediately think of the terrible thing I've been forced to use for years.

Not only that, even as a bit of geek, Microsoft's naming conventions completely baffle me with so many flavors of everything I wouldn't know where to start.

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by A2H GO]
Dom

15th Apr 14 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's not a recent perception of Windows desktop OS either tbh.

Exactly! Similarly the perception that OSX is 'plug n play' and never 'breaks' is completely false as it's just as bad as any other OS - lost count the times i've had to reinstall OSX on machines because the client has said "it's fucked and runs slow"

Ash - Easier to turn off auto-updates and install them at your convenience rather than thinking the worlds coming to an end when auto-updates is on and it's installing them

Think we've derailed this thread nicely

[Edited on 15-04-2014 by Dom]
John

15th Apr 14 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run windows 8.1 on my 4 year old dell, all day at work, reboots to a second partition when I come home, takes about 30 seconds to my home partition and maybe a minute to the work one (which has a million things installed on it).

I also deal with loads of broken windows computers but just as many macs as a percentage, macs are just more difficult/expensive to fix.

Windows Phone could be called anything, it was too late to the party and only with version 8 got any good, 7 was crap, that's the problem.
Scotty_B

16th Apr 14 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So when can I update from WP8 to WP8.1, without using the developer?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll