corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Win2k8 TS Servers - what are you running?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Win2k8 TS Servers - what are you running?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
4th Aug 14 at 14:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi!

Anyone administrating TS servers? What sort of users/apps are you running on it?

John

4th Aug 14 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a few, normally either so they can access sage from outside of the office and another couple that don't have a server at all so use TS, normally for sage. Got an old 2003 one that runs some other antiquated piece of software so loads of users can access remotely.
willay
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have users using them every day for their every day operations, connecting via thin clients.

I have 27 connecting and using it, mix of Outlook, Excel, Word, special MIS software, Adobe, IE, Firefox, Chrome - and the server is starting to struggle. Trying to get some idea how overloaded the box is, its spec (virtual) is 4 vcpus (2.5ghz), 12gb of ram
John

4th Aug 14 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would have thought 12gb of ram was massively underspecced for 27 users doing that. The browsers and adobe reader will kill that before you even open anything from a recent office package.

CPU probably just about coping but ram needs to be doubled or even tripled for so many users.

What are the disks like? RAID10?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 17:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be running some perf counters during the day and see what the bottle necks are.
willay
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

storage is on a SAN, we seem to be OK on ram (using about 70% max), CPU on the other hand gets battered most of the day, only recently I added a couple of vcpus, which gave it 4 in total - just seems that if theres more cpus then the applications will have it all.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless it's an intelligent SAN That does auto data moving. It could be a disc bottle neck. What response times to the San do you get? IO on that Lun? Does it use a big flash bus then onto disc?
pow
Premium Member

4th Aug 14 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would say 27 users running that software would require more than 12gb straight off. My TS box is only running remoteapp for Sql based applications where stuff are on a vpn and that has 32 assigned to it, HyperV ofter reports that's it's demanding in the late 20s
willay
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
Unless it's an intelligent SAN That does auto data moving. It could be a disc bottle neck. What response times to the San do you get? IO on that Lun? Does it use a big flash bus then onto disc?

Right ok, but what about the fact that the CPU is being hammered at 100%? You all need to be not addressing that issue and not telling me why.

no ssd shiz on the SAN, I can grab some stats on the SAN and ensure all is well.
willay
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 08:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
I would say 27 users running that software would require more than 12gb straight off. My TS box is only running remoteapp for Sql based applications where stuff are on a vpn and that has 32 assigned to it, HyperV ofter reports that's it's demanding in the late 20s

Memory isn't being hammered according to Windows, I repeat, CPU is being hammered
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Memory isn't being hammered according to Windows, I repeat, CPU is being hammered

Whats the host resources like? how many virtuals do you have on this box?
willay
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CPU: 3350Mhz out of 12 x 2.493ghz being RAM: used
25057.00 MB out of 65501.21MB

5 VMs on this host.

CPU count 10
willay
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 13:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

todays latest change, set deny permissions on where flash is installed. CPU usage is down.
pow
Premium Member

5th Aug 14 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They chrome as flash is bundled with chrome?

New Poll