corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » tappets

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tappets
reberto

User status: Offline
11th Jun 05 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know if its tappets or hydrolic lifters on the x14xe but they doin my head in, tried all the addatives, slick 50 , engine flush etc.... so im wondering how much they r to change um, ne ideas on what price a garage would charge?
Graeme
Premium Member

11th Jun 05 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do an oil change
FozzyGSI

11th Jun 05 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its a 16v your looking at about 6-7£ each for a tappet, Url end spending about £120 if you do it yourself

[Edited on 11-06-2005 by FozzyGSI]
ed

11th Jun 05 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£120 a set for the tappets + Timing belt probably a smart idea to do the rollers and water pump while your at it so another £140 roughly. You got the right oil in it? Try Castrol GTX High Milage 15w 40, is it tapping at cold only or is it all the time? Garage would probably charge in excess of £300 because there is a lot of labour involved.
Will94

11th Jun 05 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well this wont be what you wanna hear, but might not be the tappets at all. Could be a number of things, my m8's X14XE started tapping one day and it never went away even after a full set of tappets. Turned out to be some dodgy valve guides..... then when they broke it hurt his wallet somewhat!
Ant

12th Jun 05 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£7 a tappet for non gm ones which you will then find yourself repacing again for genuine at a cost of £17 each
James R

12th Jun 05 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just take them otu clean them, replace and then go rag the f**k out the car for 20mins and it shoudl shut them up.
ed

12th Jun 05 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good way to clean tappets out is:

Take them out the engine with a valve grinding stick or some kind of suction thingie, you need to keep them upright at all times.

Degrease them and get all the drity oil out of them using WD40, get them reall clean. If they have gone gold coloured then bin them, you have fucked them by reving the engine way too high!

Soak them in engine oil for a few days, all the crappy oil will float out of them and they will fill up with new clean oil, the oil you soak them in will have a brown sedement when they are ready, I soaked mine for a week....

Re-fit them, try not to let too much oil leak out of them when you re-fit them, you want them as oily and as lubricated as possible, mine were dripping when I put them in. With good valve stem seals and a clean head this shoudn't cause any problems.

[Edited on 12-06-2005 by 1800ed]
James R

12th Jun 05 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

or nick them out of any 16v vx engine down the scrappy as they are all the same
supremefaulk

18th Apr 08 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how do you change tappets then? As my x14xe is tapping all the time and annoying me a fair bit, not loud, and only at low revs, i can live with it, but trying to make my corsa look and go as nice as possible before i start modding everything.

btw, i am no big mechanic, i can do oil and filter, brake pads n disks, spark plugs and thats about all ive tried.
So a step by step would be absolutely fantastic if anyone would be so kind?
how many tappets are in an engine as well?

Cheers for any help given
Kris
corsa_rob

18th Apr 08 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have clicking all the way through the rev range on my x14xe...dont think its tappets...has gone through 2 oil changes and still does it...sounds more like a cambelt noise on mine...when under the car...check everything is plugged into everything...little pipes and shit...i had few sounds and turned out to be little rubber 90 degree pipes has worn away still need to sort out the big noise i have...but its looking more likely to be a a c20xe to fix it haha!
James_H

18th Apr 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it a tap or knock?

To change the tappets, take the air box out, the take the cam belt off (make sure its timed up)

Take the rocker cover off, then the bolts for the cams, make sure you know what cam is which, also the bearing caps are in the same order

Then you see 16 big round cylinders, get a magnet or a sucker (oo err), and there they are.

Hope it helps if you need help u2u me.

New Poll