corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Javascript

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Javascript
liamC

User status: Offline
8th Mar 07 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it hard to learn?

Any recommended books?
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Mar 07 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as any other language really, you programme already?
James

8th Mar 07 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO there is no point learning javascript as 9 times out of 10 what you want to do will have been done before, learn the basic syntax and see if you want to do has been done.
liamC

8th Mar 07 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know HTML, and getting there with CSS, but I've just applied for a job and they say 'Javascript' as well and I don't know it!
Ian
Site Administrator

8th Mar 07 at 22:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Programming generally will give you enough to adapt to it. You won't need to do much from scratch for the reason James has outlined.
James

8th Mar 07 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
I know HTML, and getting there with CSS, but I've just applied for a job and they say 'Javascript' as well and I don't know it!

Do you know a server side language?
liamC

8th Mar 07 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been doing my uni project in php/mysql but I've been learning as I've been doing it so not 100% mate no.
James

8th Mar 07 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What job did you apply for?
liamC

8th Mar 07 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Here's the brief thing:

Description:

The job holder will have to Conceptualize, design, and produce quality graphics, including banners, pop-up advertisements, buttons, and navigation for Internet and intranet use

Provide creative input and support as a key player in the product design team.

Key responsibilities include: The responsibilities will also include Creating web layouts and interfaces, custom graphics and icons, and maintaining graphic standards and corporate branding throughout the product’s interface.

Create promotional email advertisements for distribution to the customer base

Qualifications:

A graduate preferably with a degree in computer science

Experience:

At least 4 years experience with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Director, Flash, Fireworks, Freehand, and Quark XPress

Experience optimizing graphics for the web in size and quantity, as well as a strong understanding of HTML based-design limitations required

Advanced proficiency with cross-browser/platform CSS, DHTML, and JavaScript Extensive experience in Web design, navigation, content presentation, usability best practices; and Web technology

Knowledge:
Knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Adobe Illustrator in a Windows environment is also important.

Demonstrated ability to import and manipulate dynamic XML data using Action Script

[Edited on 08-03-2007 by liamC]
James

8th Mar 07 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you proficient with all the Adobe/Macromedia stuff?

That job looks more graphic design than web design to me. Or is that what you were looking for?

I also doubt they are looking for advanced javascript skills, probably just popup and validation scripts which is a piece of piss.
James

8th Mar 07 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reading the way that is written it looks like they are after something for nothing, at a guess I'd imagine they arent offering much more than £20k?
liamC

8th Mar 07 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah mate, used Adobe and Macromedia for years. Sad enough to know all the shortcuts etc now as well. I prefer Graphic Design to web, so it doesn't bother me.

The job is abroad, and for a massive company. Normally accomodation, visa, medical insurance is included, so if it is 20k a year after all of that that'd do me fine!!!

And fortunately I know a few people work for the company so I've put them down as references, and I am getting them to find out who does the recruiting to put a good word in for me! It's who you know at the end of the day!!!

Only thing that may hinder me is that they've asked for 4 years experience in all of the above programs...I don't have 4 years experience in them all, but I have experience in Photoshop for about 6, same with Dreamweaver etc, so we'll see how it goes.

You can but try I suppose!
James

8th Mar 07 at 23:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly mate, best of luck, wouldnt worry about the javascript thing
liamC

8th Mar 07 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers!!

New Poll