corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » IT support

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author IT support
John

User status: Offline
7th Sep 08 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I detest the word IT, everybody claims to be in IT

Since the other one was deleted, cs is an excellent sounding board because no punches are pulled.

I've been debating this for a while but the main things stopping me are lack of business knowledge and the fact I believe it to be a saturated market because every tom dick and harry done IT at college.

I would probably originally start doing a multitude of things, easy low money stuff like building and fixing home pc's.

Main goal would be to get small businesses on board (possibly contracts with them?) as I think there is possibly money to be made here.

I'm confident that when somebody used my services I'd be the first person they came to in future and I could, at least until I was making some money, offer very competitive pricing.

What is the best way of advertising?
I have no idea where businesses would look if they needed something along these lines done?
Are there any that don't either have permanent staff or current contracts?

Any views/info/whatever is appreciated.
Cavey

7th Sep 08 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been considering doing something like this as well.

I'm a postie, so finish at 2pm most days, also i'm on a different route pretty much everyday, so i could be delivering 500 leaflets advertising my services every day to 500 different houses, so advertising wouldn't be a problem for me.

Again, just simple stuff like fixing/building PC's, virus removal etc..etc..

Pricing wise i was thinking £10-20 call-out charge then £x per hour while at a customers.
Bart

7th Sep 08 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, getting retainers (or contracts) are the way forward, 24/7 phone support for small businesses.

Yes the market is saturated with similar businesses, you will need to seriously undercut them to build up a good profile.
John

7th Sep 08 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's my worry, I really don't want to waste my time for it to amount to nothing, i'd rather look elsewhere instead.
kz

7th Sep 08 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cavey
so i could be delivering 500 leaflets advertising my services every day to 500 different houses, so advertising wouldn't be a problem for me.

ooo... thats illegal
Paul_J

7th Sep 08 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope you've got good paitence.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tKl0jZ9bjsQ&feature=related

I couldn't think of anything worse to do than IT support. Must be the most frustrating and dull job.
John

7th Sep 08 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's not the type of thing I'm talking about, I know how it works, thats the sort of thing any tom dick and harry does, i'm talking about running a small companies whole infrastructure.
Robbo

7th Sep 08 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
quote:
so i could be delivering 500 leaflets advertising my services every day to 500 different houses, so advertising wouldn't be a problem for me.

ooo... thats illegal
very illegal and very annoying
Robbo

7th Sep 08 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's not the type of thing I'm talking about, I know how it works, thats the sort of thing any tom dick and harry does, i'm talking about running a small companies whole infrastructure.
advertising in local business journals etc woulkd be a good place to start i guess? get urself along to a local chamber of commerce event, any local evnts/roadshows (if that makes sense?!)
Paul_J

7th Sep 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Yeah I know what you're saying, basically remove the need for an IT department in that company, train some staff members inside the company how to do the basic stuff, and control everything else remotely.

However, I can guarentee you'll find yourself getting your time wasted by idiots asking obivous things regardless.

I know someone who was going to do similar to what you were saying, but across schools. Basically controlling all them remotely, with a young staff member or whatever to go on site if anything needs installing etc.
ed

7th Sep 08 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm a postie, so finish at 2pm most days, also i'm on a different route pretty much everyday, so i could be delivering 500 leaflets advertising my services every day to 500 different houses, so advertising wouldn't be a problem for me.

And if I found out you were abusing your job like that I'd make it my goal to make sure you never came near my letterbox again.
Richie

7th Sep 08 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought about starting up myself but tbh I didnt have the financial backing or balls.

Instead, nearly 4 years ago I started on a helpdesk of a very large outsourcing company. Then a year later moved into a senior technician role in the same division.

Another 6 months on and I was being sent to London every other month to provide on site support to customers and its infrastructure.

Another 6 months on I was in charge of the Vista implentation project for internal use and the creation of a managed service to provide to customers using SCCM.

Another year on and I'm now a senior consultant implementing new customer infrastructures and solutions and upgrading/maintaining existing infrastructures. Haven't spoken to an end user for nearly 2 years, bliss
Cavey

7th Sep 08 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never knew it was illeagal

What's the difference between that and the countless Take-away menu's that come through my door everyday?

Or are they all illeagal as well?
Richie

7th Sep 08 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because they arent being delivered via Royal mail

As a Royal mail employee you cannot do illegal mail drops to peoples doors with their post.

[Edited on 07-09-2008 by Richie]
Brett
Premium Member

7th Sep 08 at 23:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was in an eastenders story line recently, or so my g/f says
Paul_J

7th Sep 08 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do it anyway mate
Robbo

8th Sep 08 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
It was in an eastenders story line recently, or so my g/f says
It was, Ian Beale promptly put a stop to it
pow
Premium Member

8th Sep 08 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every Tom Dick and Harry does do IT at college, but, hardly anyone can ACTUALLY do it
Cavey

8th Sep 08 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So i could do it after my shift and it'd be fine? That's poo.

I'll stick to my gambling for the moment anyway
John

8th Sep 08 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Every Tom Dick and Harry does do IT at college, but, hardly anyone can ACTUALLY do it

I know, joe public doesn't know the difference though.

New Poll