corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » tuning my car

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author tuning my car
chunky_nb

User status: Offline
30th Sep 08 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i want an astra gsi turbo, at some point when i can afford one lol, however at the moment id like to tune my car, i cant be arsed with throttle bodies but i would like to cam it and change the inlet along with a remap,

what would i need? ARPs? vernier pulleys?

how much is it likely to cost? gains?

[Edited on 30-09-2008 by chunky_nb]
alan-g-w

1st Oct 08 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chunky_nb
right i want an astra gsi turbo, at some point when i can afford one lol, however at the moment id like to tune my car, i cant be arsed with throttle bodies but i would like to cam it and change the inlet along with a remap,

what would i need? ARPs? vernier pulleys?

how much is it likely to cost? gains?

[Edited on 30-09-2008 by chunky_nb]

Doubt you would need ARP's with that set up. Vernier pulleys would help in the setting up of the cams though.

For cams and a remap you're looking at around £500 depending where you take it. An upgraded inlet (manifold) would prob cost around something like £250-300, depending on engine.

Gains from all of that would again depend on the engine you're putting the stuff on.
broster
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depending which inlet you want it may be worth fitting arp's due to the manzel style inlets liking more rev's

vernier pullies are a must with cams IMO, but if keeping it on standard management you would need to look at the dbilis (sp) pullies
alan-g-w

1st Oct 08 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
depending which inlet you want it may be worth fitting arp's due to the manzel style inlets liking more rev's

As in changing the manifold bolts? Never knew that
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
quote:

No, as in changing the rob bolts for ARP's, then the rev limit can be raised safely to make the most of the Mantzel.
sand-eel

1st Oct 08 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go with after market management it will cost about the same to fit and map than mapping the standard ecu
alan-g-w

1st Oct 08 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
quote:
quote:

No, as in changing the rob bolts for ARP's, then the rev limit can be raised safely to make the most of the Mantzel.

Take it you meant rod bolts, what do you mean by them?
chunky_nb

1st Oct 08 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where would i get standalone/aftermarket management then,

so the agreement is ARP rod bolts to be safe, vernier pulleys, inlet manifold, cams... anyone suggest any cams? (kent,piper,Dbilas)??
sand-eel

1st Oct 08 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is also catcams, sbd cams and others too depends if you want off the shelf ones or custom one to suit your needs, as for the standalone management a lot of rolling road people will fit and map them.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

1st Oct 08 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes

Take it you meant rod bolts, what do you mean by them?

Yea, mis-spelt it.

Rod bolts hold the bearing cap onto the bottom end of the piston and rod assembly, around the crank.
These ARP rod bolts are designed to withstand larger loads, which are generated from higher rpm's.

This in turn allows the engine to rev at higher revs without a rod bolt failing, which if it does normally ends catastrophically with what is known as throwing a rod, i.e. a rod smashing through the engine block, or at least severly damaging the bore.

For examples of an X16XE throwing a rod, see these:

That was Broster's engine, and actually was a snapped rod rather than a failed bolt, but the bolts held right up until 9000 rpm, whereas the rod didn't
sand-eel

1st Oct 08 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the thing is with arp bolts they do take higher stresses BUT they have a tendancy to snap right away, standard bolts will stretch first so you will be more likely to notice something wrong before they totally snap.
alan-g-w

2nd Oct 08 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tom_simes - cheers for that buddy, always wondered what people meant when they went on about rod bolts.

Chunky, sorry for the shit advice

New Poll