corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » 1.7Diesel - How can you tell if head gaskets gone?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 1.7Diesel - How can you tell if head gaskets gone?
Combo

User status: Offline
   12th Dec 08 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My van has started to run hot( 10 mins and its at 95* 20/30 mins and its at 100+*. Then it went down to 95* again although the fan never cut in.
There's oil on the engine around where the gasket is. Which concerned me the most.
On the other hand my heater still blows hot, theres no white smoke, there is no mayo on filler cap and it doesn't appear that performance has been effected.
Is it in need of a new head gasket of could it be it just needs a new thermostat to make it run cooler.
Could it have an airlock?
It needs a new rad which is on order and a thermostat, but unsure wether it needs a new gasket.
Any help appreciated

[Edited on 12-12-2008 by Combo]

luke85

12th Dec 08 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesnt sound like a headgsket to me, people blame them far too easily.

Could either be a thermostat or the radiator or even the sender for the gauge reading wrong
Combo

12th Dec 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok cheers luke im begining to think tha same.

I've just checked the van again. I found that little bubbles were forming around the headgasket between cylinder 1 and 2.
Could this just be the oil on the block warming up?

Also i went to the van and it was still pressurised 40 mins after i last drove it.

Reved the van hard with header tank open and no water gushing out after reving it so, i think it may be a blockage in the rad and the fact it needs a new thermostat.
Could the fan not switching on be because of a faulty thermostat? The guage is showing hot, and when you open bonnet the engine is hot but fan has stopped coming in, i changed the switch for a new one last week too, but when its bi passed it works?

luke85

12th Dec 08 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fan switch is in the rad though, if the thermostat is stuck closed then the bottom of the rad where the switch is doesnt get hot even though the engine is overheating, hence the fan never comes on
Combo

12th Dec 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the sensor i replaced on the lower right hand side of the radiator then? (looking at the van face on)
I was told this is the temp sensor for the water and its wired to the fan. The fan also has a conector but that is to supply power to the fan. Im confused.
Thanks for your help though Luke.
luke85

12th Dec 08 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one screwed into the rad is the one that brings the fan on and off, nothing to do with the gauge in the car or the sensor for telling the ECU the engine temp, these are notmally near the thermostat (never had a good look at a vaux diesel though)
Combo

12th Dec 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have a look tomorrow mate...im going to clean block with some gunk engine cleaner tomorrow and see if i can see if headgasket is leaking.
Radiator is coming tues and i've got a new thermostat coming tom so we'll see. Hope its just fitting new rad and thermostat and it will be ok from then on. Cheers again Luke.
Combo

12th Dec 08 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by luke85
The fan switch is in the rad though, if the thermostat is stuck closed then the bottom of the rad where the switch is doesnt get hot even though the engine is overheating, hence the fan never comes on

That makes sense and i believe this could be the case.

New Poll