corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Anybody gone Contemporary/Minimilist/Ultra Modern with their interior?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anybody gone Contemporary/Minimilist/Ultra Modern with their interior?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
13th Jul 09 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi All, me and my partner have just moved into a new buid 2 bed Semi-detached house and we basically have a blank canvas to play with. We are wanting to keep it as fresh and modern as possible with stylish/retro furniture. I was just wondering if anybody else has gone down this route rather than the traditional 'safe' look.

Were thinking feature walls, Le Corbusier Sofas, Panton Dining Chairs, Kartell tables/chairs/lamps, Cow hide rug, Eems Ball Chairs, Black laminate flooring, Gloss everything etc....i know you see the designs on google images of when its done properly, just wanted to see if any non-professionals have achieved this look.

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by CorsAsh-Sport]
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jul 09 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speak to Nik, he sells (iirc) anglo/american post modernism furniture

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by LiVe LeE]
A2H GO

13th Jul 09 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Speak to Nik, he sells (iirc) anglo/american post modernism furniture

Cool, hopefully he will pop up in this thread then, wonder if he does corbusiers....
Cosmo

13th Jul 09 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got deep pockets?
A2H GO

13th Jul 09 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really We have some money saved up for furnishings, i doubt it will go far on this sort of stuff but were planning on doing it over time, we just want the Sofas and dining chairs to start with. Also, we dont mind getting some of the relipca stuff.
nik

13th Jul 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your ideas sound good mate, but as Cosmo says unfortunately it doesn't come cheap. Here are some pics of my house below, everything there is original As you can see, my main interested is American design from Charles/Ray Eames, George Nelson, Florence Knoll. I have a few Danish bits too from Hans Wegner, Arne Jacobsen etc etc and some other bits from Eero Saarinen, Harry Bertoia and Norman Cherner.

As with anything, all depends on budget - skys the limit
nik

13th Jul 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One think that can really set a place off is it's art - if you want some really well priced original 1960s-70s prints/lithographs have a look on my site mate. R.E furniture your welcome to give me a bell anytime and I'll have a chat with you, there are cheaper alternatives with it all (that wall unit + sideboard in my pic are c£3000 each) but you can get a similar *look* for a lot less. As with clothes, cars etc etc you do pay a high premium for the designer/name.
A2H GO

13th Jul 09 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Nik, your input is much appreciated. We are after to start with 2 replica 3 Seater Le Corbusier Sofas in Black and possibly a Eero Aarnio ball chair, struggling to find places with stock with relatively good quality examples, found this place but the price being so cheap puts me off....

http://www.retrodirect.co.uk/about.asp

I can't see your pics at work but will defo have a look when i get home
ssj_kakarot

13th Jul 09 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get argos catalouge/ikea order what you like the look of, job done.

dont get why people would spend £3000 odd on one piece of funiture just because its a brand, could probs get something that looks exactly the same from ikea for next to nothing.

nik

13th Jul 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No probs. IMHO I wouldn't buy repro mate, the quality is never great, a lot of the companies are run by a dodgy bloke who is scamming people (check http://www.designaddict.com forum) for more info, and if you want to sell them they'll be worth diddly squat. Genuine Vitra Panton dining chairs can be picked up pretty cheaply now compared to the 1st edition Herman Miller versions.
whitter45

13th Jul 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ssj_kakarot

dont get why people would spend £3000 odd on one piece of funiture just because its a brand, could probs get something that looks exactly the same from ikea for next to nothing.

depends what floats your boat

why would some one pay 27k for a ford focus sized car when a simailr spec foucs is nearly 10k cheaper

same with TV's

you can get a 46" TV for 600 where i have just paid 1400

happens in all walks of life

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by whitter45]
nik

13th Jul 09 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Because I keep things for 6 months, get bored then sell it for a profit - good quality furniture is an investment, as is art. Buying some from Argus etc is like throwing money away. Furniture is far more my friend than cars thats for sure!
A2H GO

13th Jul 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Try finding anything like a Kartel Ghost chair(£200+) for cheaper.....some stuff is unique.

Agreed some stuff does look the same but its like with anything people will always pay a premium for brands, you can get tops exactly like the ones in All Saints for 80% less in Primark/Topman yet people still buy them.
nik

13th Jul 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The higher end stuff is mainly sold/bought by collecters if I am honest. Your average joe will buy an Eames chair for their home office, and maybe a couple of other items but rarely kit their whole house out.

Having said that, I do know a few clients in London who have some fantastic collections. As I mentioned above, it is a very good investment - and if you enjoy/like the furniture then you are onto a winner.
A2H GO

13th Jul 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
No probs. IMHO I wouldn't buy repro mate, the quality is never great, a lot of the companies are run by a dodgy bloke who is scamming people (check http://www.designaddict.com forum) for more info, and if you want to sell them they'll be worth diddly squat. Genuine Vitra Panton dining chairs can be picked up pretty cheaply now compared to the 1st edition Herman Miller versions.

Good forum that, ill have a read later as it gives a good insight into the designers and periods etc.

[Edited on 13-07-2009 by CorsAsh-Sport]
A2H GO

15th Jul 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just bought one of these for the empty corner in my livingroom,

Going to love it when my old man comes round and its the only seat left

New Poll