corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless network issues

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless network issues
mantamark

User status: Offline
21st Nov 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, i made a post a little while back, but i've been doing more tests, and thought i'd start afresh.

We are on Virgin 10mb Broadband, have the Modem Virgin supplied 4 years ago. Also have a Belkin F5D7230-4 router that i bought about 3 years ago.

I have a 3 year old HP laptop, and the mrs has a two month old Packard Bell.

We used to be able to use the two laptops at the same time, but strangely, since she got her new one, its gone a bit odd.

Using speedtest.net

Both Laptops switched on, mine on speedtest, hers on google home page. I get 6-7mbs over 3 tests.
Both Laptops switched on, mine on google home page, hers on speedtest. She gets 9-10mbs over 3 tests.
My laptop connected direct to modem, i get 10mbs.
Her laptop connected to modem, she gets 10mbs.

Now for the interesting bit.

Both on speedtest, start at the same time, she gets up to 7mbs, mine didnt start once, and the other two times i got 2mbs.
Both on speedtest, i start mine 5 seconds before hers, i get up to 7mbs, thenas soon as hers starts, mine tails off & doesnt even complete the test, hers goes up to 7mbs.

So, from what i gather, although it shouldnt, her laptop is taking the majority of the signal, but i didnt think that was possible?

Can i upgrade anything to help?

I've rang Virgin and they are very unhelpful, talking to me like i'm a complete idiot, with a very poor attitude. Rang them 5 times in the last few weeks, had one slightly helpful person, been cut off three times & had someone who didnt know what they were doing and sat not speaking to me for minutes at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark.
John

21st Nov 09 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this happening with anything apart from speedtest.net?
mantamark

21st Nov 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh the same on all of them, plus if i try to download anything, it gets so far, then stops.

Youtube vids last about 20secs before they stop aswell.

Very annoying!

New Poll