corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Smokey Diesel on Cold Start

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Smokey Diesel on Cold Start
ed

User status: Offline
4th May 11 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seeing as we're talking about diesels I've got a question that's beginning to annoy me a bit.

My 1.3 CDTI Punto is very very smokey on cold start for a good few minutes until it's got some heat in the engine. There is no ECU fault light, apart from when it's running very very rough when just starting - then the engine just stops but will start again and get going. Once it's warm it works just fine.

I've tested the glow plugs and they were all showing something like 1-2 ohms, I'd expect those to fail open circuit and the resistance to go up as they get hotter so I guess they're working. I get the impression that it's flooding when I start it, but could anyone suggest anything else I could test before I have to give in and get a garage to look at it?
Steve
Premium Member

4th May 11 at 08:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think it will be the glow plugs once the engine has started they arent used, engine runs off its own compression
DaveyLC

4th May 11 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It wont be glow plugs, they arent even required this time of year, its too warm

Its probably the EGR valve sticking.
ed

4th May 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gets parked indoors and it's fairly cool, the preheat light does turn on too. But I'll have a go at the EGR as that could be the culprit as a quick search highlights that a few people have had problems with them. Thanks

New Poll