corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Premium Bank Accounts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Premium Bank Accounts
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 12 at 11:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These Premium Bank Accounts which you pay a monthly fee for but in return get various bonuses such as travel insurance, breakdown cover etc. What are the best ones on the market atm?

I've always thought it was a bit of a scam but the missus' account gives her AA recovery at the same level as I pay £80 a year for, travel Insurance with the same company I'm with which is £35 for 2 weeks snowboarding cover, so thats £115 straight away with various other extras such as mobile insurance and health care. That's with Santander, I'm with HSBC and their premier accounts don't seem as good

[Edited on 03-02-2012 by LiVe LeE]
John

3rd Feb 12 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the process of signing up for RBS royalties mainly because I want the phone insurance to get a replacement phone.

You get greenflag breakdown cover, cheap tickets for stuff, travel insurance (which I get free with Santander anyway) extended warranty on electronic purchases, more stuff I'm not interested in.

£12.95 a month, covers 2 phones on a joint account.
James

3rd Feb 12 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a Natwest Gold account, it's really good. I think they used to be a bit of a scam but these days are actually really good value.

I'm looking to get a black account soon because then you get to use airport lounges and 24 hour home emergency cover etc.
James

3rd Feb 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

These guys seem to be quite good at telling you which ones are best:

http://star-ratings.defaqto.com/
Nick-S

3rd Feb 12 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a Halifax Ultimate Reward Current Account.

It cost me £15 a month, but so long as i pay at least £1000 a month into it i get £5 back, so it only cost £10 realy.

I get worldwide multi-trip family travel insurance, AA breakdown cover which includes home start, AA accident management, mobile phone insurance, home emergency cover, and card protection.

TBH i think its worth paying just for the AA cover and thats why i chose to upgrade.
Tom

3rd Feb 12 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nick-S
Ive got a Halifax Ultimate Reward Current Account.

It cost me £15 a month, but so long as i pay at least £1000 a month into it i get £5 back, so it only cost £10 realy.

I get worldwide multi-trip family travel insurance, AA breakdown cover which includes home start, AA accident management, mobile phone insurance, home emergency cover, and card protection.

TBH i think its worth paying just for the AA cover and thats why i chose to upgrade.

Same for me, for £120 a year it's hassle free.
M2RTY

3rd Feb 12 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate, i was the same as you....i would do this:

i am with hsbc, premier account is shite
my lass is with halifax, she pays 15 (minus 5) a month and gets a lot for her money, but it covers me too seeing as I am her "partner"

I asked about opening a join account with halifax, and paying for the benefits, and it can cover 2 people even who dont live together

stupid both of us payiong it when i switch over to halifax on Monday, but wioth us both now being with halifax and having a joint account, we earn 3x£5 a month for having a grand put in each account, and this pays for the premium fee
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Feb 12 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The travel insurance on her account will cover partners and upto 2 children (not that we have any), I'll get her to check if her breakdown covers more than one person and if so, boom, make her pay and I'll reap the benefits
thegsi

3rd Feb 12 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the Natwest Gold account. It's only £13 a month and it has saved me a few bob. Have two iPhones insured and have been on a few holidays using their insurance. Dont know how easy it would be to claim but it's nice to know it's there.
Sam
Premium Member

3rd Feb 12 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty sure Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com) said you can get these extras cheaper separately than when you pay for them through your bank.

I wish my business account gave me these 'extras', I don't have a choice when it comes to paying for the company account (other than moving banks).
M2RTY

3rd Feb 12 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

martin lewis said most of the times you are better off, but i know for a fact we are better off going throught bank

15 quid a month insures 2 iphone 4s, brakedown on any cars we are in up to 10 years old, annual travel insurance inc skiing in feb every year, free cash withdraws abroad, etc etc etc
M2RTY

3rd Feb 12 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but yes my hsbc one wasnt worth doing ever
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Feb 12 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was pleasantly suprised with my Halifax reward account. It kinda got upgraded without me having a say in things so I whined about it for over a year - but in the last three months or so I've had both the mobile phone insurance and the AA home start come to my rescue. Looked at the other rewards, and it's really quite a good deal

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

3rd Feb 12 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be aware that its an absolute ball ache if you need to claim using the insurances.

i have a halifax ultimate reward account and claimed last august when we lost a bag on holiday.

6 months later we still havent received anything. need to phone them up about it bit you have to spend an hour waiting
Kyle T
Premium Member

3rd Feb 12 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I was pleasantly suprised with my Halifax reward account. It kinda got upgraded without me having a say in things so I whined about it for over a year - but in the last three months or so I've had both the mobile phone insurance and the AA home start come to my rescue. Looked at the other rewards, and it's really quite a good deal

Oh, and mine is £12/month but I get a fiver back for depositing a grand or more each month.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

4th Feb 12 at 06:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's gone up Kyle about 3 months ago. I complained as I didn't get any formal notification either
M2RTY

4th Feb 12 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
be aware that its an absolute ball ache if you need to claim using the insurances.

i have a halifax ultimate reward account and claimed last august when we lost a bag on holiday.

6 months later we still havent received anything. need to phone them up about it bit you have to spend an hour waiting

same as any other compnany
Whittie

6th Feb 12 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I've got a Natwest Gold account, it's really good. I think they used to be a bit of a scam but these days are actually really good value.

I'm looking to get a black account soon because then you get to use airport lounges and 24 hour home emergency cover etc.

Thought you worked for HSBC
Ben G

6th Feb 12 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RTY
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

same as any other compnany

do you mean holiday insurance companies? when i've claimed on my car insurance i've always been paid out quite promptly. certainly have never had to wait more than 6 months +
James

6th Feb 12 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

I've never worked for HSBC.
spencer88

7th Feb 12 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the HSBC one and cannot complain.

But then it depends what you use the account for.

Not only do I get Breakdown, phone insurance and travel insurance, but you get preferential rates on borrowing and savings.

The other year I had a savings account offering 8% gross, I also get a free overdraft facility and credit card, plus if I want a loan, I get better rates generally, similar with a mortgage.

I easily recoup the charge in interest.
Whittie

7th Feb 12 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

I've never worked for HSBC.

No idea why I thought that mate

Probs Canary Wharf.
James

7th Feb 12 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did work next door to HSBC if that helps

New Poll