corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Long range wireless link

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Long range wireless link
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Mar 12 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I'm currently working my way towards linking up two properties within the same area using WIFI.

The two sites in question are approximately 720 meters (as the crow flies) apart, buildings are where I live and my friends farm. Using the help of a forklift ( ) I was able to get as high as one of the sheds on my friends farm and can clearly see the roof of my house. So That should be the line of sight sorted.

I'm going to be using a mix of linux boxes equipped with Alfa AWUS036H usb wireless adapters which are known for their power when using with the correct drivers and a couple of these badboys (hopefully)

Now naturally I'd like to spend as little as possible on gear until I can prove it works, I'm trying to get over a few problems such as access to the roofs of said buildings as both of the buildings have fragile roofs which I do not wish to walk on. One building has a pole mounted to the side already for a old weather station which I could access using the forklift but the other building will need a cherry picker or some masssssssssive balls.

I'm quite concerned about the whole line of sight theory, its easy enough to point the antennas in the 'rough' direction of the other but how exact do I need to be? and is there anything out there to aid me with lining them up? If I was to go through with the cherry picker idea I'd have limited access (rental) so going back up to move the dish 3 days after installation would be costly!

edit - I've also done a wireless survey using my tablet, I used the Wigle wireless app for my android to do this! Again roughly walking as the crow flies through the fields I was able to find around 13 AP's using various channels to broadcast their SSID, I plan to use a channel thats unused within that survey area to avoid as much interference as possible.

Any thoughts, questions on this would be appreciated.

[Edited on 30-03-2012 by willay]
Sam
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you don't mind me asking, why can't your friend get his own broadband?
willay
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he has, infact he has 3 adsl connections on site, I have 3 adsl lines here too and access to two others.

However he gets 1.5mb sync and I get 6.5-7mb

But its not just about broadband.
Sam
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK. It certainly sounds like an interesting (if ambitious) project you've got here!

My only concern is that like anything that uses wireless transmissions, you are likely to come across issues with interference and signal strength, especially as your measurements equate to about just under half a mile in distance!

Would it not be cheaper/easier to do this over ethernet and using repeaters of some sort?

Sorry I don't want to piss on your bonfire here, I've just not heard of anyone else successfully doing something on a scale like this before!
willay
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 16:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interference is a issue, I've gone to the trouble of finding all the APs in the path so I can choose a different channel.

Links of bigger sizes exist and have worked using pringel cans - Total cost of the link would run into £300 for hardware (I've already got one alfa adapter) without the hire of a cherry picker.

Ethernet isn't a great option here as there is a road in the way, and I'm pretty sure once I crossed the road into the next field I'd hit the 100m mark and theres no power nearby for a repeater - not to mention I'd have to talk to land owners/foreigners
Sam
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Foreigners

I assume him getting BT out to sort out his slow sync issues won't be any cheaper (or is he too far away from the cabinet)?
willay
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes at the end of the line for the exchange, but anyway thats not fun, more fun to link two networks up using your own gear. WILLAYNET bruv
John

30th Mar 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laser?

If you could get up high when it was dark enough you could use a cheap red one to get it bang on.
willay
Premium Member

30th Mar 12 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

let me use your laser pen pls john
Simon

31st Mar 12 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sure there was some guy on here couple years back trying to do something similar?
pow
Premium Member

31st Mar 12 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could use a couple of Cisco 1200 aps and single direction annteni
Nismo

31st Mar 12 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/ubiquiti-networks?gclid=COL7g8_ykK8CFQQMtAodKkT6zQ

Ubiquiti kit is very good and very cheap. The Nanostations are the best for value, 15km range for £93 quid.

you could use the Ubiquiti Bullet with your own ariels and over that distance wouldn't be a problem. £85 for an access point.

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/ubiquiti-bullet-m5-hp-5ghz-access-pointcpe

[Edited on 31-03-2012 by Nismo]
Nismo

31st Mar 12 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and we use this in lorry yards and industrial estates with lots of interference and we transmit megapixel cctv across them with no issues what so ever, the tools built into lock them out of other networks aswell.
Russ

31st Mar 12 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pringles tube, old school
Ste
Premium Member

31st Mar 12 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a 22dB omni directional antenna and it will pick out routers from over a mile away.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Steve
Premium Member

31st Mar 12 at 16:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microwave rx and tx
Steve
Premium Member

31st Mar 12 at 16:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will only work if you have line of sight though
willay
Premium Member

31st Mar 12 at 22:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
We use

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/ubiquiti-networks?gclid=COL7g8_ykK8CFQQMtAodKkT6zQ

Ubiquiti kit is very good and very cheap. The Nanostations are the best for value, 15km range for £93 quid.

you could use the Ubiquiti Bullet with your own ariels and over that distance wouldn't be a problem. £85 for an access point.

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/ubiquiti-bullet-m5-hp-5ghz-access-pointcpe

[Edited on 31-03-2012 by Nismo]

thanks alot thats some great products, might give them a call !

New Poll