corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wheels going odd after lowering?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wheels going odd after lowering?
binfieldx

User status: Offline
8th Jan 13 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys,

Weird issue here. Basically I installed FK-AK coilovers on my Corsa b awhile back and after we installed them it had some serious camber on the front wheels. For example-

As you can see the camber is really far out and it did this to new tyres in 7 days-

Anyway with a bit more fiddling and help from some others we decided it was the camber on the front suspension, I was told that pulling the brake disc all the way out towards me (fk -ak has the adjustable camber holes on the top) will positive the camber and straighten it up more.I pulled the disc all the way outwards to line it up then bolted it all back up securely, did this on both sides. To my surprise the wheels camber had now gone to 0 (obviously) but now the wheels were both facing outwards in opposite directions.. So anyway after an hour of fiddling and adjusting my dad and I managed to get the wheels almost both facing straight although the left passenger one is just slightly more facing outwards than the other wheel. I watched the wheel treads when driving to work this morning and they aren't wearing anywhere near as much as they did when it was cambered. Is the wheel facing out possibly to do with the tracking? Will they fix that if I get tracking sorted?

Here are the wheels as they currently are sitting (notice the passenger one still seems to be facing out. Both the front coil struts are set to about half way on the camber.)
Wheel that seems straighter-

Wheel that seems out a bit more-
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jan 13 at 12:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The top bolt where the strut joins to the hub isnt a fixed hole, you can adjust camber via it. Remove the wheel and you'll see what i mean. pull it back half way, put back together and see what you have then. Trial and error unless you have a pit/ramp
nibnob21
Premium Member

8th Jan 13 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd take it to get properly laser tracked, the type where you get the read out. More pricey than regular tracking but in your situation it's the only you'll get it properly sorted. If your suspension has adjustable camber holes I don't think you need specific camber bolts.

MX5 Project Thread
JaffaTB

8th Jan 13 at 19:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had to mess with the track rod ends to get them straight when i had them on mine
john_redtop

13th Jan 13 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had same problem wearing tyres in no time so took it to garage cost £70 for tracking and camber to be set up but beats buying tyres all the time also got a print out of before and after and you dont want it bang on 0 you want slight nevgative camber makes handeling better and wont wear the tyres
VegasPhil
Premium Member

13th Jan 13 at 21:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to have it tracked and cambered. Get used to forking out for it too...

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold

New Poll