corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microsoft Action Pack (John, Dom, etc.)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microsoft Action Pack (John, Dom, etc.)
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Nov 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I notice that SBS and Exchange are included amongst other things all for only £260/year

My question is, if I pay for this 12 month subscription and install/use various things, what happens after the 12 months - is the software time limited in any way or is it just that I won't be able to upgrade if I don't renew?

Dom

18th Nov 11 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, technically you need a valid sub. but I'm not sure whether or not the licences deactivate as such.
quote:

What is the return and cancellation policy? There are no refunds after you have accessed the Action Pack software download site or opened physical media. If you cancel your subscription, the software licences are no longer valid and you must uninstall all copies of the software. Contact the Regional Service Centre nearest you if you have questions. You will need to provide your name, company name, mailing address and Action Pack order confirmation number.

https://partner.microsoft.com/40016472

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by Dom]
John

18th Nov 11 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It continues working after the 12 months.
John

18th Nov 11 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Handy to have the action pack anyway, then you can get different levels of certification for the business and a logo to stick on your website.

Some customers do look for microsoft certified.
Dom

18th Nov 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
It continues working after the 12 months.

But am i right in thinking that the licence in theory becomes 'void' as you have cancelled/not renewed the subscription?
John

18th Nov 11 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip that's correct. Just works because they don't revoke the key or do anything to block it.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think it can be only used for 'dev' systems anyway
John

18th Nov 11 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Partner licencing is different from MSDN, I'm not sure on it but think you can use it internally.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kinds of software use does the licensing agreement allow?

The Microsoft Action Pack Subscription Licence Agreement allows the use of Action Pack software only for internal business needs, as well as for evaluation, demonstration, testing, training and educational purposes.

MAPS Licence Agreement use in a production environment, such as in hosting a commercial website, is outside the scope of the agreement.

The licences are provided for use at Company’s primary business location only and must be used only for Company’s internal business purposes, application development and testing.

The intent of this Initiative is to showcase the latest Microsoft software technology; thus only the latest versions of Microsoft software technology will be offered through this Initiative.

Note: The licences are not intended for employee personal use at home, for hosting customer’s applications, or for installation at a customer site and may not be resold, transferred, or assigned to any third party.
Sam
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just discovered this which is for new business startups - I think the requirement is that your business has to have been trading for 3 years or less and not making $x million turnover/year:

http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/SoftwareAndTools/Default.aspx

If I can get on to that, I might do that instead and then go for the Action Pack when I have to.

Edit - not applicable unless I develop software.

Action Pack it is then!

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by Sam]
John

18th Nov 11 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just get an action pack and use whatever software you want.

The absolute worst that could ever happen (but won't) is that you'd have to buy a licence.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 21:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sam
I've just discovered this which is for new business startups - I think the requirement is that your business has to have been trading for 3 years or less and not making $x million turnover/year:

http://www.microsoft.com/bizspark/SoftwareAndTools/Default.aspx

If I can get on to that, I might do that instead and then go for the Action Pack when I have to.

Edit - not applicable unless I develop software.

Action Pack it is then!

[Edited on 18-11-2011 by Sam]

you can develop software if you use sql
Sam
Premium Member

18th Nov 11 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd just get an action pack and use whatever software you want.

The absolute worst that could ever happen (but won't) is that you'd have to buy a licence.

I think this is probably the best thing to do in the long run by the sounds of things.

I could use the SBS and Exchange parts of the subscription to build and maintain my own Exchange server, and obviously the Office/Windows/project management and CRM software would be handy as well.

And obviously what you mentioned earlier about certification would be very beneficial too.
Neil

18th Nov 11 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Handy to have the action pack anyway, then you can get different levels of certification for the business and a logo to stick on your website.

Some customers do look for microsoft certified.

Any links to the levels of certs and stuff to put on websites etc?
John

18th Nov 11 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theyve chaned the gold partner one recently, not sure on the new one. The old gold certified you needed certain mcp's and also customers to fill in questionnaires.
Nismo

19th Nov 11 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It never stops working, the only issues I have had is when I tried to activate it on a server in Qatar, it didn't like that and blocked all keys, phone call sorted it out!

Action pack is the answer to it all IMO
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 11 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've decided to go for it.

Also handy that because it's done through Microsoft in Ireland, they do a reverse charge VAT so in other words my company won't have to pay the VAT upfront.

Just need to figure out what I'm going to do about running the exchange server, as I'm assuming it needs to be somewhere that has a fixed IP address...
John

19th Nov 11 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can do it over a dynamic DNS service but I wouldn't want to.

Better off getting a broadband connection with a static IP anyway, again just looking to the future you'll need that sooner rather than later anyway.

Wish I had the guts to start on my own
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's what I thought. I feel like I'm opening up a can of worms with this Exchange thing, although I suppose the trade-off is that I get full control over the server.

Do you mean starting your own business?
John

19th Nov 11 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, own business. A hosted exchange service would do you Sam, just thougt I'd suggest in house for the whole going forward thing.
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's quite scary, especially if you are moving from paid full time employment. Been doing this for a year now and am now only starting to progress financially as I've had no funding really.

I do want an in-house solution, I'll find a way of doing it though even if it means having to get a second line/broadband with static IP or even co-location somewhere.
Nismo

19th Nov 11 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look at uni world lines as they are cheaper than bt, also plus nets reseller program is very good.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

19th Nov 11 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You can do it over a dynamic DNS service but I wouldn't want to.

Better off getting a broadband connection with a static IP anyway, again just looking to the future you'll need that sooner rather than later anyway.

Wish I had the guts to start on my own

Do it john, best thing i have ever done!

my invoices for this month are 6.5k + VAT and thats a low wage for a contractor and thats all profit as im not buying/selling
Sam
Premium Member

19th Nov 11 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is it you do? You been doing it long?
John

19th Nov 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where do you look for contracts vrs? And how do you keep them running? I've got a mortgage now so not as much freedom as I once had.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll