corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rear Drums Binding HELP?????

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rear Drums Binding HELP?????
Gavin
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Feb 04 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alrite ppls.

i went to push my corsa out from my car park space 2day and i couldnt push it..... it wouldnt move....

i took it out for a test drive and when ever i moved off from a starting position i have to give my car more revs to get it to move, and the rear of the car seem to sink down abit.

i jacked up both rear wheels and tried to turn them with my hands.... the drivers was hard to turn around and didnt have any spin wat so ever.... the passenger side wheel was a hard as fuck to trun around

right i think that the read drums are binding.... has any1 had this problem before and how much is it to fix??

cheers
gav

pew pew pew pewwwww
Red_SXi

1st Feb 04 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad is a driving instructor, and one of the most common things was the springs that hold the shoes away from the drums had broken/worn out, meaning the shoes were in constant contact with the drums. Did you also notice when you'd been driving it that the drums were incredibly hot when u got back ?
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 14:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmmmmmm

i have just been out... done about 1 mile.... and had a feel of the drums.... the feel slightly warm but only slightly!

how much did he pay for them to be repaired!

pew pew pew pewwwww
Red_SXi

1st Feb 04 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He done it himself, took the drum covers off, and pulled the shoes together, and replaced the springs (which are cheap to buy as parts) If you're at all mechanically minded then have a look yourself
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 15:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmmmmm... i'll not but my mate is...

pew pew pew pewwwww
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 15:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know that last time i took my car in to have the rear drums sorted out... they sed that it was a hard a fcuk to get off...

could do with a price to go by cos if its cheap i'd rather have a mech do the job.

pew pew pew pewwwww
Richie

1st Feb 04 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just done this over the past few days and id charge a couple o grand

If they have problems getting them off all they need to do is remove the handbrake cable which gives them more slack. Few taps with a rubber mallet and bam, with some luck adjuster will come out and shud be much easier
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u joker... how much do ya recon a local mech charge for a job like this????????

pew pew pew pewwwww
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

any1 else

pew pew pew pewwwww
stuyw

1st Feb 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just to get them off or to replace shoes etc??
if its for everything, id say about an hours labour
TOMAS

1st Feb 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just labour £25-£35 to mess with the rear drums. You could need new bits though on-top... Was it stood a while? Could just need driving a bit more to free them up?
stuyw

1st Feb 04 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine did this and it was only stood 3 days, the cable had seized. I only realised when smoke was coming from back of my motor - i had to replace shoes n also cable
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

howmuch did ya cost ya stuyw!!! did ya do then ur self!!!!

i thing i only need to buy the springs!!!
and i had a new brake cable about 2 years ago!

pew pew pew pewwwww
stuyw

1st Feb 04 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant remeber how much it cost, but i dont think it was more than 50 quid. mine were a right mess. if ur confident to do them urself then it shouldnt take u long, just have a haynes manual with u. or u can take it 2 a garage
Gavin
Premium Member

1st Feb 04 at 18:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its like £50 all in... i dont give a shit.... i'll get them to do it....
its too cold to be messig about with rear brakes

pew pew pew pewwwww

New Poll