corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Could someone do a guide on how to sand down the engine rocker cover.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Could someone do a guide on how to sand down the engine rocker cover.
Graham

User status: Offline
2nd May 04 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above, any tips guides etc wud be most helpful. i kno i have to use wet/dry paper and autosol. but what is autosol and how do i use it??
cheers
Kris TD

2nd May 04 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

degrease it then scotchbrite it off, then plastic primer, filler primer then paint. easy.
CorsAsh

2nd May 04 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Start off with an abrasive pad, looks like a heavy duty scouring pad (mine was made by 3M, can buy them from B&Q). Take off all the surface crap with that.

Then move onto some wet and dry, say P600, and give it another good scrub. You may also find it useful to beg/steal/borrow a dremel if you dont have one, as the wire brush attachement is great for gettin those hard to reach places.

Once you've sanded it down with the 600, use as fine a grade as possible, say 1200 wet and dry. Give it another good goin over, then break out the Autosol.

Autosol's a good quality metal polish, so just apply it with a soft cloth, give it some elbow grease, it'll turn black which means its scrubbing the top layer of oxidisation off I think... Then buff off the residue with another soft cloth. Repeat as necessary until you get a nice shiny rocker cover...

I did mine a while back, heres a pic I took - diff engine, but you get the idea...

Ash.
Graham

3rd May 04 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oooo that looks nice gonna have to get this done soon
MikeH

3rd May 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh but how long does it stay pollished?
Corsa E-Tec

3rd May 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sanded it down till smooth ( and also sanded off the ecoteck writing) then primed it, then smoothed it primmed it again, then smoothed, then 2-3 coats of paint, then 1200 gritted it then another coat and 2-3 coats of lacquer!

thats just my way and heres my result.

Kris TD

3rd May 04 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa E-Tec
i sanded it down till smooth ( and also sanded off the ecoteck writing) then primed it, then smoothed it primmed it again, then smoothed, then 2-3 coats of paint, then 1200 gritted it then another coat and 2-3 coats of lacquer!

thats just my way and heres my result.

with laquer, it is best to do one thin coat tehn a thick coat, almost to the point of it running. yours doesnt look all that shiny .
AdamF
Premium Member

3rd May 04 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will never look shiney when you use rattle cans. you need to use proper paint and a gun and compressor

New Poll