corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Non Corsa related question (106 GTi)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Non Corsa related question (106 GTi)
H13X JW

User status: Offline
   10th Feb 07 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this is a corsa forum but the help responses i've had in the past have been second to none so i thought i would ask my question here first....hope that's ok

I've got a '98 106 GTi which on my way back from work has developed a slight problem. The battery light on the dash has come on very faintly but the car seemed to drive home ok and the lights don't cause the battery to fade further. On a side note the electronic power steering pump has started buzzing constantly

The question i have is would the power steering pump starting to whine put on the battery light? The power steering still works but it's deffinatly the pump as i removed the relay to test, which stopped the noise, lost the power steering (Obviously) but the battery light was still on.

I'm really confused and after spending about 2 hours cleaning earths thinking that was the problem..i'm p***ed off to say the least. If anyone has any suggestions as to the problem please let me know Thanks
mattk

10th Feb 07 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would have though it would have been the alternator if the battery light was comming on, but the power steering made me think otherwise
H13X JW

10th Feb 07 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Altenator was my first thought but with it being the elctronic power steering it just seems too suspicious but i just don't know....i thought mabye disconecting the relay would've removed the light but but no such luck. My fluid in the steering is black however but i don't think this would effect it????
H13X JW

10th Feb 07 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I give up!!!!! After a few mins messing about trying to overload the electrical system (Turning all lights, heaters on etc.) it's totally died. My mate thinks it is the altenator so we're stripping the car tonight to get to it.

The next hurdle is that nowhere is open that can bench test it tomorrow. Does anyone know if i can do this with a multimeter??????? I'm totally at my whits end with this as the same problem happened on my '93 pug but that turned out to be a corroded wire in the wiring loom. I'm supposed to be going away next friday in the car so it looks like that's canceled

New Poll