corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » PS3 - Games not using 1080p

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PS3 - Games not using 1080p
dave17

User status: Offline
   26th Mar 07 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just a quick point as im at work.

went into game at lunchtime to see if i could have a look at a PS3 (they didnt have any running instore) so i took a look at the games instead. On the back it shows what resolution the games run at, and 80% that i picked up only ran 720p and another small 10% only showed they run in 1080p (of what i saw, Ridge Racer & Virtua Fighter)

This isnt a post to damn down the PS3, but just wondered why people arent using the full resolution, as this is a main selling point against the 360?

Then i took a walk down to Virgin, and they had a PS3 on display, its HUUUGE But looks very sexy and would look immense next to my R74. They had the Virtua Fighter demo playing on the Bravia, IMO it looked 'ok'. The edges of the characters looked 'torn' and the textures didnt have much detail to them. Now i dont know if the PS3 was set up properly, but i was really looking to find the wow factor when i saw the PS3, that would make me want to rush out and buy one.

A few of my mates have got one so il pop round and play on them soon, so i can get a real idea.

That is all.
topshot_2k
Banned

26th Mar 07 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because many games are ports from the 360 and so not specifically designed for the PS3
--Dave--
Banned

26th Mar 07 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the same with the launch titles for the 360 though. Many only used 720p. Now pretty much all of them are 1080i (with i imagine 1080p being used further down the line when the technology is a more widely used).
dave17

26th Mar 07 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and everywhere had stock of PS3s, just thought this to be a little odd, these kind of things normall sell out on release.

I guess they manufactured more for the release or something.
cunningham

26th Mar 07 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the things normally sell out because alot of the time they are launched around christmas time
Nismo

26th Mar 07 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Allot of shops have there TVs setup wrong, most TVs are set to dispaly a really really bright image so when you walk past they grab your attention , this isnt how allot of games were developed, so allot rely on your TV being set right.
dave17

26th Mar 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well this was a huge indoor display thingy, but i guess its not correct. Ive only just got my tv set up properly and ive had it since April/May last year.
Welsh Dan

26th Mar 07 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

220000 PS3s for the UK alone, compared to quite a bit less for the Wii and Xbox 360, so its more likely to be in shops still. whether it sells out or not, is dependant on how quickly Sony manufacture them.
Russ

26th Mar 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most tvs dont support 1080p anyway
Tim
Site Administrator

26th Mar 07 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also depends if they've got it setup to do 1:1 pixel mapping etc.

I've got a 1080p TV and it makes a huge difference when I switch between overscan and 1:1 modes.

I guess we'll start seeing 1080p titles onces they stop simply porting etc. If you look back at the PS2 the launch titles were nothing special -- give it 6-12 months and I think we'll have something to write home about.

New Poll