corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Packet Loss on my Home broadband connection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Packet Loss on my Home broadband connection
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
22nd Jul 07 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm getting around 35% packet loss down my ADSL connection provided by pipex. This has only been happening for a couple of days now but it's getting annoying, as trying to browse any website involving pictures, playing online games/xbl is becoming a nightmare.

When pinging an external website such as www.corsasport.co.uk for about an hour, i get rougly 35% packet loss, with 3-4 of every 10 hops timing out.

When pinging my router, i get perfect connection, so it doesn't seem to be my network at fault. I've also tried wired and wireless connection to the router, from both my PC and laptop - same shit.

I've tried updating router firmware, and using a usb modem as a replacement, still no good.

I've tried moving my router to the house "master socket" with a brand new microfilter and cable, but still no use.

I've tried unplugging every other device that uses the phone line.

Thats about as far as pipex' troubleshooting goes, so i'm after a little more help.

I've no idea how things work once it gets to the BT exchange, but is it possible that the weather has damaged something at their end, causing the poor connection?

Cheers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

22nd Jul 07 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

see if you can borrow someone elses modem to try, as tech support will ask you to do that as well as the usual checks (will get you to ping and tracert X address). If that fails, phone tech support, tell them you've done all of the internal checks, change modems/filters and get them to do a line check - they will "escalate" it to BT which can take a few days, then hopefully they'll get back to you (phone/email).

do a tracert to corsasport or bbc.co.uk and see where it the loss happens, though it does sound like there is a problem with your line or exchange fault.
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jul 07 at 10:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers, i've tried a couple of modems (speedtouch shitters etc) but i'll play around with tracert tonight and see if any patterns emerge.

Ta

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jul 07 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you connected to your router by wireless or fixed cable?
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jul 07 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I've also tried wired and wireless connection to the router, from both my PC and laptop - same shit.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Jul 07 at 10:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ring your isp or get bt to do a line test
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Jul 07 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've been through all the ISP support shite, they're going to contact BT but they're reluctant because if there is no real fault, they will get charged for the call out

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll