corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » setting up limited company

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author setting up limited company
SetH

User status: Offline
25th Jul 07 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will be leaving permanent work to become an IT contractor later this year, not looking for any advice on the contracting side as currently working alongside some contractors who have been great with regards to tips etc.

Although most are working under umbrella companies, i would prefer to set up my own limited company and go from there.

Question is where to start? what pitfalls? etc?

Thanks.
Robbo

25th Jul 07 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can either buy a ready-made company form WHSmiths or somewhere and change the name or instruct a solicitors/accountants to set it up for you... one BIG pitfall u need to investigate is an Inland Revenue regulation called IR35...
ed

25th Jul 07 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yaa, you can just buy a LTD. company in a box. Seems quite strange
Robbo

25th Jul 07 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is Much cheaper than setting up a whole new one except you have to change alkl the particulars yourself which can be tricky
Mad Moe

25th Jul 07 at 09:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Starting point is speak to your bank's corporate division and to local accountants to discuss what assitance they offer and what you want to achieve

Also here's some pointers that I noticed on the BBC website:

The main advantage is that the liabilities (debts) of the company are completely separated from its directors and owners. Many people starting out, or a little way down the line, decide to form a limited company. In practice they're both the owners and directors, although the two are distinguishable in law.

Key points to remember about limited companies:

They're separate legal entities of their own and must be registered at Companies House.

Each limited company must have at least one director and a company secretary (in practice you and another).

The directors' personal assets aren't vulnerable should the company fall into debt, but the directors have legal duties, such as filing statutory documents (see point 4).

Limited companies have to file annual returns (accounts) to both the Inland Revenue and Companies House.

Companies don't pay income tax, they pay corporation tax.

Everyone has the right to find out from Companies House who the directors are, and can look at the accounts.

Companies must display their full name on all premises from which they operate and on all stationery.

Here's the Link to the website, hope it helps

[Edited on 25-07-2007 by Mad Moe]
Robbo

25th Jul 07 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I say, need to inverstogate IR35 before doign anything else... its basically a statue that says if you operate as though you are employed (as lots of contractors do and did) then they will override anything you have set up and treat you as an employee... rendering everything you have spent on the ltd company pointless... its a killer regulation and it badly hit IT and car building industries a few years back
ed

25th Jul 07 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And me
Natalie

25th Jul 07 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get Shaw Gibbs LLP to set it up for you
Cosmo

25th Jul 07 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Like I say, need to inverstogate IR35 before doign anything else... its basically a statue that says if you operate as though you are employed (as lots of contractors do and did) then they will override anything you have set up and treat you as an employee... rendering everything you have spent on the ltd company pointless... its a killer regulation and it badly hit IT and car building industries a few years back

only for tax reason though?? So all the other reasons, i.e. the liabilities, etc. would still make it beneficial setting up a Limited company.
Robbo

25th Jul 07 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybes... but not necy... u still have the admin of runnign one, simple liability ins maybe enough in many cases
SetH

25th Jul 07 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have investigated the IR35 and got some great tips from one of the contractors on how to legitamately avoid it, should not be a problem.

plus the government is losing 1000`s of cases a year as its so vague. there are also several tax firms that can fight your corner usually with good sucess rates.

so the risk on that account is miniscle as far as im concerned, you just have to use your head i guess.

New Poll