corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Hard drive error checking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Hard drive error checking
Mistamist

User status: Offline
19th May 08 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recently i have noticed that my computer is hanging when running programs, i have tried to error check the hard drive and it gets to phase 2 and then comes up with a redundancy error or something like that.

what is a good program to check for errors on your hard drive other than the one in windows.

cheers
_Allan_

20th May 08 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The one in windows is usually pretty good. I'd say your drive was showing signs of failing and I'd back up a much as you can now and get a program called Norton Ghost and take an image of the whole drive.

How old is the drive you have?. If it's 4-5 years then I'd seriously consider getting a new one soon.
pow
Premium Member

20th May 08 at 07:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Backup. Now.

Wouldnt use Norton Shost on a failing harddrive, i'd just do a fresh install of windows
_Allan_

20th May 08 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not use Ghost?, I've had no probs backing up a difficult drive on boot up with ghost. Trying to put a fresh copy of windows on will only chance more corruption if the disk is having access difficulties. I'm only going by personal experience and not within a work environment. My own machines have been ok this way. Last time I had a drive on it's way out, windows would not install correctly etc... I didn't want to risk losing the remaining data.

[Edited on 20-05-2008 by _Allan_]
pow
Premium Member

20th May 08 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fresh install of windows on a new HDD I meant

Ghosting takes across EVERYTHING, including the dodgy bytes that the hard disk has mutated
_Allan_

20th May 08 at 08:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that make more sense.

Yeah I only suggested Ghost to get a full copy of of the raw files and to use it on a fresh disk as a secondary drive to copy from not to use as a primary or mirror'd drive again. Pick what you want off and then reformat. Would require another spare drive as well as a new one.

New Poll