corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Wooden border or not?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wooden border or not?
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
13th Nov 08 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a new build house in May of this year and as some of you will know, they usually come pretty basic looking when it comes to painted walls, all one colour etc.

I'm not quite a fan of plain walls, i like the look of maybe a little wooden border a third of the way up and maybe just a darker colour on the bottom half (for the lounge)

BUT are borders in or are they out, some people say no way, dont put in a border.

Dont want to do any wall papering as if i dont like it, when i want to remove it i'll ruin the nice smooth walls, plus the house will still have a bit of movement for a while yet.

If anyone has any pics of little wooden borders in a lounge, colour options etc, let me know!

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Nov 08 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can look good
depends on the decor of the room
Kathryn W

13th Nov 08 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum has an old victorian house with like 10ft walls.

She has a border a 1/5th of the way down and then another further down the bottom.

Top half white, middle wallpaper, and then bottom cream. Looks nice.
RichR
Premium Member

14th Nov 08 at 09:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dado rail; originally they were used to stop chair backs from damaging the walls; hence being set at the height they are.

My mum and dad have them in there house; alhtough our house is 30ish years old (so not 10ft high rooms) I think it looks okay; their's is Mahogony coloured, but most of the furniture is mahogony as well.

They have cream/light yellow walls and the house in general has a meditteranean feel - The dado rails doesn't look out of place IMO.

However, I'm not fitting one in the house we're renovating
ash_corsa

14th Nov 08 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dado rails are 'out' - if they were 'in' they would be fitted to new builds!

They look pretty naff, everyone i know who has had them, have removed them!

Up to you though, you can still do bottom 3rd one colour and the top two 3rds another colour without a piece of wood in-between
neoquip

14th Nov 08 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dado rails are so last year... or 10.

plain walls are in and big patterned wall papers.

Picture rails... are ok, if you have the hight to carry them off in the room, if the rooms not high enough they look pants.

Like people who put a dado rail half way between the floor and ceiling. a dado is approx 1m up, all depends on the size of the room, skirting board hight and ceiling hight.

[Edited on 14-11-2008 by neoquip]
Ben G

17th Nov 08 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have 2 thirds painted cream and the bottom 3rd painted a light brown with no border in the middle and it looks fine

i had dado rails before but they look really old fashioned.
AK

17th Nov 08 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have a dado rail in our hall, and picture rails in the lounge and bedrooms. I think they suit older victiorian houses, but if its something you want do it.

New Poll