corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Most effective use of TRV's and Room Stat (Pic included)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Most effective use of TRV's and Room Stat (Pic included)
dannymccann

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 09 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then as you can see thats the layout. Every radiator (apart from the bathroom one) has a TRV, including the Dining Room. I have every radiator set on 3, and when I turn the heating on it I put it on around 15C (that way the Dining Room reaches 15c, but as we spend all out time in the living room it gets warmer in there naturally due to body heat and TV/Xbox etc etc).

Will the TRV and Stat be conflicting with each other in this situation?? What would be the most effective use of what ive got? I only turn the heating on when the missus comes home, it doesnt bother me that the dining room is at 12.5c all day
deanmcreynolds26

22nd Jan 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest get rid of the room stat if you have trv's

leave one radiator with 2 lockshields for a bypass, usually hall or bathroom i advise.

set each zone for the temp you want, usually about 5*C for each number on the trv so 4 would be 20*c, the trv will close over when this temperature is reached so its all down to how warm you like your rooms!

if you want to keep your room stat, maybe get rid of the trv in this room as that will shut down the boiler when the room reached that temperature, but for example, you have the stat in the dingin room set at 25*c and the living room set at number 3 the living room rad is gona shut down before the boiler is!

what kinda boiler you got at the moment?
mattk

22nd Jan 09 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what he said ^

shouldnt really have a room stat in the same room as a rad with TRVs

Its advisable to have a rad with no TRV on to as a bypass to protect the pump, if all your TRVs shut, the water has no where to be pumped and is put under unnesecery strain
dannymccann

22nd Jan 09 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First post says bathroom is only rad in house with no TRV

Ive never really understood why I need TRV's when ive got this room stat. I would rather the radiators get as hot as they can, heat the room and then the stat will turn the boiler on and off as it needs to.

Current system is brand new installed in May. Its combi system, new boiler, all new radiators, all new valves the lot, but the only way to turn the heating on is to use my wireless dongle thingy. It can be carried wherever i want round the house, i tend to leave it in Dining Room on the wall though at 15c as by the time that room is 15 the lounge is nice
Colin

22nd Jan 09 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got all my TRV's open full & a remote room stat in the hall set to 18 Degrees.

Seems to work for my flat.
dannymccann

22nd Jan 09 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what im thinking more like Col, that way the rads get nice and hot when the boiler is on, but the rooms warm up so fast the boiler goes off asap
M2RTY

22nd Jan 09 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would leave them all open too
deanmcreynolds26

22nd Jan 09 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but what u want is a nice steady pace for the gas, you dont want it ramping up all the time to try and use as much gas as possible to get as much heat out the boiler for a shorter period, nice steady temps set for each room is what u want, think of the rooms that arent occupied with the rads fully open.

best advice to you is get another controller that doesnt incorporate a remote thermostat. maybe just a single channel programmer
dannymccann

23rd Jan 09 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ Not sure what that means tbh, when the boiler is on, its on full whack regardless of my TRVs surely. So if its on full whack anyway, whats the point in slowing down the water flow to the radiators, as the room will take longer to heat up anyway?

And the rooms upstairs wouldnt be fully open, they would be on 2 / 3
mattk

23rd Jan 09 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whaen that happens above its called cycling

its like your car, its more efficant at a steady constant speed rather than getting the system up to temp then letting it cool down, then firin back up at full rate to get it up to temperature again then letting it cool down ect

if you turn the TRVs off in the rooms you dont use and set your room stat to the temperature you want, the boiler will stay on low constantly, rather than going off and comming back on at full rate
dannymccann

23rd Jan 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Isnt that the urban myth that keeping it on at a lower constant temp is cheaper than on and off when you need it?

Keeping it on apparently costs extra - the government's energy saving website says that somewhere i think?
mattk

23rd Jan 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

deffo not a myth, most programmers have a programme in them to stop boiler cycling anyway, Its best to turn off the rooms you dont use though
neoquip

23rd Jan 09 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rooms we don't use are turned off, that way ore heat goes to the rooms that have the TRV turn on full, or our bedroom thats on 3, as the room gets way to hot if on 5.
dinning rom is on 3
2 rads in the lounge are on 5
hall and down stairs loo havn't got TRVs

our REMOTE room thermostat is in the lounge set to 21 degrees at night, whenthe rooms to temp.. the heating goes off, when the room temp does down the heating kicks in again.. and so on.
If we have the log burner on in the lounge the room temp goes up to 23 degrees, THEN the rest of the house goes cold as the Remote state thinks the heating doesn't need to be on, well in effect it doesn't in that room, so I move the state into the hall where the room might be only 17 degrees, THEN the boiler will kick back in to get the temp back upto 21 degrees... as thats what it's set to from 6pm-10:30pm

New Poll