corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » the correct way to check oil level

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author the correct way to check oil level
mattk

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive always don it by leaving a fully warm engine to cool for 10 - 15 mins on a level ground before checking the dipstick, I thought it gave the warm oil a chance to drop down to the sump

Im now reading leave the warm engine for an hour or two and one site is even saying do it cold!
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd Feb 09 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I check mine when its either cold, or leave it at least 10 minutes like you said.

Thats what I was taught when I was 15, doing work experience at Vauxhall, but as long as you give it time to drop to the sump, the reading you get will be close enough.
dalejones

2nd Feb 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dipstick feels really stiff to pull out and its bent, an wen i put it bak in it like turns, does yours do this?
John

2nd Feb 09 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally do it when cold, it doesn't really matter as long as it's had a bit to drop down though tbh.
lil_g

2nd Feb 09 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally do it cold
deano87

2nd Feb 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I normally do it cold cold. I used to do it warm, and was getting different readings to cold.

I used to think warm but being left 15 minutes was best, because the oil had 'expanded' therefore was at its operating state.

I've since been checking cold and it seems to be using less oil ( obviously hadn't left it long enough before) and you get a more definite reading on the dip stick.
N3CRO

2nd Feb 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always done it cold.
Vaux Lad

2nd Feb 09 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dalejones
my dipstick feels really stiff to pull out and its bent, an wen i put it bak in it like turns, does yours do this?

Yes because the dipstick tube isnt straight......

New Poll