corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » I think I need to operate on my Nokia E71

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I think I need to operate on my Nokia E71
Simon

User status: Offline
21st Apr 10 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A little while ago I dropped my phone, I had one of the stupid 3.5mm to 2.5mm jack connectors that you have to have to use normal headphones on the phone plugged in. I thought that the jack on the connector had just bent after picking it up and so I threw it away. When I got a new one I realised that it wouldn't plug in the whole way, so I believe that the very end of the old jack has snapped off inside, must be approx 2 mm. For a couple of weeks now I've been jamming tiny screwdrivers down there, putting tiny drops of glue on the end of allen keys to try and stick to this piece and pull it out all with no joy. I think the metal springs that hold the jack in must be clamped around this end bit.

I'm not sure what else I can really try before I go drastic on it, anybody have any ideas? I'm not due an upgrade till september and am getting very bored of having no music so need to do something. I either try and get it repaired on insurance which is always a pain, or the only thing left I can think of is this....

I drill in, through the metal case at approx the location marked in red, hope there is nothing important inbetween the case and the end of the socket so I can flick the end bit out. I've looked at sites that show you how to take apart the phone but even doing this you won't get access to the bottom of the socket.

Does anybody have any advice before I destroy my phone

adiohead

21st Apr 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you tried using really thin tweezers?
Simon

22nd Apr 10 at 06:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have had a look for tweezers, but the hole is 2.5mm diameter and i've not seen anything close to small enough to be able to manouvre in that
John

22nd Apr 10 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

E71 comes apart fairly easily.

Then replace the jack.

[Edited on 22-04-2010 by John]
Simon

22nd Apr 10 at 06:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the jack a seperate part of the phone? It didnt even occur to me that this bit could be replaced on its own
Simon

22nd Apr 10 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I have done exactly the same. Here is what you do: Open the phone, take out the headphone jack - its just lying there its not attached. When u took it out just take a thin screwdriver or anything and push the headphone in further, the other side will open up(there is a small cover there) and it will come out on the other side. This is the first time ever i opened up a phone. So you can see how easy it is xD

Just found this, shall give it a go
oceansoul

22nd Apr 10 at 07:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt drill there. Think thats where the aerial lives.
jezza

22nd Apr 10 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drill some exploratory holes first. I have indicated below the best places to drill.

[Edited on 22-04-2010 by jezza]
Nath

22nd Apr 10 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FLOL jezza
Nath

22nd Apr 10 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/E71-Spares.htm
_Allan_

22nd Apr 10 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
i have had a look for tweezers, but the hole is 2.5mm diameter and i've not seen anything close to small enough to be able to manouvre in that

u2u Jay jay-corsa-gsi
Simon

22nd Apr 10 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very good, I got myself one of those precision screwdrivers and took the phone apart, managed to pop the tiny bit that was stuck at the end out. Just about got the phone back together again and working perfect again. Probably the better option that going dremel on it
oceansoul

22nd Apr 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Although you could have got a bluetooth headset

New Poll