corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bit of help to save me taking a gallon of petrol and a lighter to this thing please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bit of help to save me taking a gallon of petrol and a lighter to this thing please
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
8th May 11 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had a problem with the Corsa for a good while now where it mis-fires, stutters, cuts out and generally runs like a complete bag of shite. I know it's overfuelling but that's about it - the same exact problem had been happening with me with two completely different engines.

I'm currently running a '91 (iirc) XE out of a Cav, I had been running a '93 mk3 astra GSi one. I managed to fix the problem I had with the brakes that I had been having for about 3 weeks that I made the thread about, turned out that there must have been an air bubble in the middle of the pipe since persistant bleeding seemed to do the trick.

It's been running a bit off but much better since I fitted a new (2nd hand) AFM since I was getting that when flashing the codes. I've still got a bit of a miss under load (going from 50-70 for example on the motorway) so thought I'd treat the thing to new plugs and leads to see if that helped. Went to Halfords today and got a set of super 4 Bosch plugs and a set of Bosch HTs - thing about the leads though is that I had two choices, dis-pack and non dis-pack, so I chose dis-pack since mine's an early set up engine.

I've done about 2-300 miles since I got the thing back on the road with the only problems so far being the miss as said above and it's cut out coming up to traffic lights a couple of times as well. So I removed my old leads, making sure I knew the order the new ones were to go back on in, and fitted the new one. Straight away they didn't seem right since the outer rubber casing of the spark plug end was rattling about in the rocker cover, I would've expected it to be a tight fit just like the standard ones. I've gone to turn the engine over and it was as if the timing had been put a tooth out - it was trying to start, popping and banging a bit and making the right kind of noises but it just wouldn't go. I re-fitted the old leads and managed to get the thing started but it's running worse than ever now. If I try to hold the revs at a set amount they dive about like mad. The paw who knows a thing or two said it sounds like the spark's being cut out - this made sense to me by the strong smell of petrol coming from the thing as well.

My main question just now is, should the car start without the Hall Effect Sensor (the three pin plug on the distributor) unplugged? I left it unplugged by mistake and the thing was running without it. My dad seems to think that because of this it's a problem with the amplifier, on the basis that if the HES isn't plugged in there shouldn't be a spark. I said I wasn't so sure since it's got the Crankshaft Sensor as well but I'm not at all very clued up on the whole electronics side of things.

Also, when I turned the engine on the management light was flashing like it was connected to a loose wire, and it's not a problem with the bulb.

If anyone's got any suggestions feel free to fire away, if anyone's got any questions I'll do my best to answer them

[Edited on 08-05-2011 by alan-g-w]
Jake

8th May 11 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you 100% the leads are in the right order?
alan-g-w

8th May 11 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

110% mate, looking at it from the bulkhead it's

2 4
C
1 3
davieslim

8th May 11 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

front the top the cap its 2 4 3 1

[Edited on 08-05-2011 by davieslim]
alan-g-w

8th May 11 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the same as in this pic assuming that the bit that says 'cambelt end' is nearest the ground

craig_s

8th May 11 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes it will run with the hes unplugged.

a set of halfords leads i had fitted the same.although if yours is an early set up its not dis pack.

the eml light should stay on if theres a fault,not flash.

have you tried reading the codes?is the ecu your running the one thats alwys been with that engine?
alan-g-w

8th May 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mistake if that's true then, I've always called the early ones dis-pack and the later ones coil pack.

The ways the eml flashes is as if there's a loose connection somewhere causing it. I know that the eml itself works since it comes on fine with the ignition and flashes out the fault codes fine - I got 12 which is just initiation of test iirc.

The ECU is supposedly chipped, it's definetely been split open at some point anyway. It was in a Corsa previous to mine and that ran absolutely fine. Basically I've been looking at all the bits that are common between these two engine to cause something like this, where I'm getting the exact same sort of symptoms with two completely different engines.
craig_s

8th May 11 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

early ones=dizzy
late ones=dis-pac

did you do the test while the engine was running?if not you should have got code 31 iirc for the crank sensor.if thats not coming up it could mean a fault with the ecu.

do you know it ran fine?i would maybe try another as my ecu flashed like that when i put some chips in that it didn't like.

coolant temp sensor could cause it to runs shit they are only £12 from vaux,may be worth a try.

id also test what sort of voltage your getting from the battery/alternator and coil.

--ToM--

9th May 11 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the dizzy and rotor arm ok? Coil amp could be a good shout aswell and as also said the coolant temp sensors can be a pain aswell mines on its way out i think lol
Corsa_Sport21

10th May 11 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you thoroughly checked the wiring loom to make sure it isn't split etc??
alan-g-w

10th May 11 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

craig_s, coolant temp sensor has been done. The car that this engine and ECU were in ran completely 100% and has ran completely 100% in my car, there is definetely a fault which is common to the car and not the engine, ECU or loom.

Tom, coil amp was suspected as well but that was only because my dad thought it had fucked up due to it firing without the HES plugged in - will still change it though. The coil itself is not in great condition (can't complain since I didn't pay for it though!) so I reckon that's the first thing I'm going to try since it's been fucked about with when I fitted the new leads.

Nick, I've not gone over it with a fine tooth comb but as said, this problem has been common across two completely different engines, looms and ECUs. The loom was previously in Scotty on here's XE and it ran completely fine.
craig_s

10th May 11 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also how old is the fuel pump and filter?
alan-g-w

10th May 11 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuel pump is fine, filter's been changed recently. It's overfuelling, the ignition side of things is what I'm looking at.
alan-g-w

11th May 11 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Took out the new spark plugs to find that three of them are sooted up to fuck but cylinder three is clean as a whistle. Turned the engine over with the plug in the lead against earth and got a spark - but what looks like no petrol.

I've had this problem before with the same cylinder, when I did the headgasket on it a couple of months ago I noticed that it looked like that cylinder had been running more lean than the others.

I've recently fitted new injectors that I was promised were in good nick, I'll be swapping one of the other three with no.3 at some point though to rule out the injectors themselves 100%. The only other thing I can think to look at is the injectors plug on the loom but that's where I'm running out of ideas. Anyone able to suggest anything else?
johnhara1

12th May 11 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Change injector and check injector plug for bent pin\clip so it sits secure on the injector.

Maybe copper slick the plug too.

I'd change the spark plug that was in cylinder 3 aswell.

[Edited on 12-05-2011 by johnhara1]
alan-g-w

12th May 11 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said, going to swap injector three with injector 2 or something and see if I still have the same problem. Bent or generally fucked clip was something that I was thinking about too.

I'll swap one of the other three plugs over with no.3 but it's got a good strong spark as far as I can tell.

New Poll