corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Dying problem?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dying problem?
Christopher

User status: Offline
30th Aug 11 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically, my car pulls fine and drives normally untill it begins to warm up! Now if im moving and not stopped for long it sits at about 90/92 degrees which is about normal right?! And it pulls away fine! However when i sit in traffic for any longer than 2 minutes my temp shoots up too 95 degrees and becomes spluttery and when i go to pull away it begins to die and spits and splatters then it kicks in a pulls away! But it seems to occur more often the hotter my car is?! so every long distance drive i go on its really bad? Now obviously i have water and that lot but im not very good at mechanics! I recently had one of the code reader checks but nothing came up! People said it would be my air flow meter but tried changing that and it didnt make the blindest bit of difference!?

(forgot to mention my fan does kick in when it reaches 90+ so thats working fine)
Any ideas?

[Edited on 30-08-2011 by Christopher]
Jed D

30th Aug 11 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...should the fan kick in at 90? i always thought it'd be close to the 100 area, could be wrong

not a buggerd lambda is it? or possibly fuel pump maybe.
whats the revs sitting like on idle?
Christopher

30th Aug 11 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well fan kicks in at 95 i think! Never really checked all i know is it isnt on when i start the car but is on when temp is higher! Revs sit just under 1000 on idle on start up and when its having the problem its just when i go to pull away it completely dies! I couldnt tell if it was any of those problems but i dont want to fork out any more money until im sure i know what the cause is really! :/
3CorsaMeal

31st Aug 11 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be many things, stuff expands when hot, so could be as simple as a split/crack in something that opens up as the engine bay warms up.
Christopher

31st Aug 11 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should i just take it to a garage and explain whats going on and get them to look over it as i coudnt tell if something was wrong :/
tom130691
Premium Member

1st Sep 11 at 00:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine does this i put it down to lambda as its overfueling rather badly

my next guess would me coolent temp sensor and map sensor
Jed D

1st Sep 11 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691

my next guess would me coolent temp sensor and map sensor

this ^ although eml light would be on wouldn't it?
my temp sensor (one in the side of thermostat) was snapped the other day after accidentally breaking it when putting the new mount in, ran it without, eml light was on and it ran like a dog, kept wanting to cut out, but that's a 16xe so... dunno

or check the obvious, leads and plugs, all cheap stuff really. cant do it any harm replacing them mate

[Edited on 01-09-2011 by JedDy]
Christopher

1st Sep 11 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the advice lads
so try changing lamba sensor first? eml light isnt on :/

Cheers

New Poll