corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Email on mobile devices

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Email on mobile devices
Doug

User status: Offline
27th Oct 12 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guys,

Some of you work in the seedy world of IT on here.

At work we use OWA to access our emails outside of work. I currently have all my emails syncing to my iPhone, but I would like to use a work phone rather than my personal device. My choice is primarily a Windows Mobile (Nokia Lumia) or a BlackBerry. We don't have a BES so I would have to rely on the OWA 'protocol' for sending and receiving from the mobile device.

I have a lot of folders and rules set up in Outlook. I know my iPhone handles these fine, would a BlackBerry?

I have never used a BlackBerry, can you see all your folders etc on them?
John

27th Oct 12 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would have to use BIS and no it doesn't sync everything that BES does. I'd personally go for something else. Android probably. But windows phone will obviously sync properly with exchange.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Oct 12 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

setup a nokia lumia at work for someone, sync'd with our exchange server and its proper sexy, calendars and all sorts of shit going on.

I wouldn't personally use one thou
Doug

27th Oct 12 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will have an iPhone for normal use.

What are the Lumia's like for emailing on etc?
Would it be a much better choice than a BIS BB?
John

27th Oct 12 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate blackberry's of all types, proper antiquated now imo. Were ok when it was the only way to get mobile email, not now you can connect directly to the mail server.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've yet to find an android app which is as good as the iPhone mail client for my owa, and I hate to admit that.

If anybody has any suggestions, please fire away.

I don't suppose your mail is hosted with office365? You can get a cloud hosted BES account of so. We're running in hybrid on-premise exchange and o365 with anybody wanting a BB going into the cloud.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Doug

28th Oct 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hopefully the new Lumia's get released soon. I guess they can't be THAT bad for working with Exchange?!

I will look into Office365, as I know that part of the business uses it! Maybe that would allow the use of a BB properly. When you receive messages on a BB do they just go into the right folder and you have to navigate to view them or do they just appear in your 'Inbox' in time/date order?
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Oct 12 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My BB only looks at my Inbox, but I'm pretty sure you can manually navigate to other folders if needed.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BB don't like exchange, full stop. Choose anything but
Nismo

29th Oct 12 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would just use your iPhone tbh, I used to have 2 ohones, work and personal and it became a nightmare carrying 2 phones everywhere, I just use my personal phone for work and if for any reason i need to use it for work (ie calls) then work just pay for those calls.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
BB don't like exchange, full stop. Choose anything but

They are fine if you use bes-x server. Can get all folders etc
pow
Premium Member

29th Oct 12 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why should you need to use another peice of expensive software to interface with a peice of software that every other manufacturer can manage to interface with out the box?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 06:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Expensive? It's free....
pow
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 07:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eh? Last time I looked into it user 1 was free then every user after was dollar
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 08:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blackberry Enterprise Server Express is free for iirc 50users
John

30th Oct 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BES express is free, you need some server space to stick it on though, and it's quite resource intensive.
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Oct 12 at 10:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Devices don't cost £500 either...

I've got a personal Android phone, a business iPad and a business Blackberry. If I was on the go and had to send an e-mail, the blackberry would be my first choice every time.

Maybe my hamfists aren't ready for touchscreen yet.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll