corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Dell XPS laptop New OS

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Dell XPS laptop New OS
Jambo

User status: Offline
24th Feb 13 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Chaps, need some help.

I have an old Dell XPS laptop that wabought in 2008/9 and has Vista on it. Its bsically un useable as it takes 10-15mins to boot up and it freezes constrantly etc...

So a new OS on a clean install like I did with my PC (Vista>7) however as my copy of 7 is a 64bit one and I have an old XP disc so I think I will use that instead. Laptop on has 2gb ram and all it will ever be used for is some Internet browsing, INPA/GT1 BMW diagnostics and some emailing/word processing. Thats it.

My question is, the laptop itself has lots of buttons for sound/eject cd etc, and wifi/bluetooth. Quesion is, if I do a clean instal without all the back up discs for restore etc then how do these functions work?! Guess they all need drivers or something but no idea how I go about this and if there is anyhing special I need to do??

Halp!

ed

24th Feb 13 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do a clean install and get the system drivers from the Dell website, everything will work then
Sam
Premium Member

24th Feb 13 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or if the recovery partition is still intact, do a factory reset from that.
deano87

24th Feb 13 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Do a clean install and get the system drivers from the Dell website, everything will work then

This. You'll be able to get drivers, which is a piece of software, to make the laptop recognise the hardware.
Jambo

25th Feb 13 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The "media centre" has its own partition So should be nice and easy to get drivers all working etc.

Half way through now!

Question is there where 4 partitions. I formatted the OS one and installed 7 on that. There was a recovery one surely this is now useless? Can I delete it from BIOS?
jbguitarking

25th Feb 13 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With a windows 7 install you probably won't need to find the drivers.

I didn't need to when I went from xp to 7.
pow
Premium Member

25th Feb 13 at 19:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would have personally fucked off ALL of the partitions come install time and then reload the new up-to-date drivers from the Dell website.
Jambo

25th Feb 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm keen to keep the Media centre one as that's hardware for the laptop. The restore ok to fuck off then? And that first one?
Jambo

25th Feb 13 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right all installed drivers updated and working top notch. Just installing my BMW diag software now.

However I have found a small yet heinously annoying problem. The display just will not go bright enough

Before you used to plug charger in and it would be mega bright, remove the ac plug and it would drop to a low brightness. Press fn & brightness+ and it would go back up as bright as it was on charge.

Now, plug AC cable in > Screen goes mega bright as normal. Remove plug and it drops just the same as it used to, only now press fn & brightness+ and it gets brighter but not mega bright

So annoying halp!!
Dom

26th Feb 13 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like power saving; have a look in the power options under control panel, should give you the ability of adjusting the brightness.

Also worth seeing what Dell 'tools' were installed and if any of those control power saving/brightness.
Jambo

26th Feb 13 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brightness is checked to 100% (should have mentioned that in first post)

Ill check out the Dell tools definately. Thanks.

New Poll