corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » RAID5 help..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author RAID5 help..
Chrissy
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Jan 14 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking at RAID enclosures and ideally wanted one with 3 bays. Does anyone know if you can use 3 out of the 4 bays in a 4-bay enclosure? Or do they all need to be filled?

>>>> Chris <<<<

pow
Premium Member

24th Jan 14 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can use as many or as little as you like usually!
Chrissy
Premium Member

24th Jan 14 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome! Thanks

>>>> Chris <<<<

Rob_Quads

24th Jan 14 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just note that if you want to use the extra bay later on you will probably have to rebuilt the whole array!
pow
Premium Member

24th Jan 14 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you can't just tag onto the array once it's built. But you could just slot a disk in there and use it in RAID 0 (ie. no RAID)
Chrissy
Premium Member

24th Jan 14 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah really? I don't envisage myself needing more than 6TB but it would have been handy if I could slot another 3TB drive in there at some point

[Edited on 24-01-2014 by Chrissy]

>>>> Chris <<<<

John

24th Jan 14 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its a nas you're looking at, some will let you add extra storage. I know the synolgy ones do if you select the correct options at the beginning.
Chrissy
Premium Member

24th Jan 14 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was really just a USB3 enclosure I was looking at. A NAS could be an option however

>>>> Chris <<<<

John

24th Jan 14 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a reason you need RAID in an enclosure?

Software/crap hardware RAID worries me. I'd rather just have copies on 2 or 3 drives.
pow
Premium Member

24th Jan 14 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Software RIAD caught me out once so I'll never let it happen again.
Chrissy
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I have two external 3TB drives. I use automated backup software to keep one as a mirror of the other.

I'm getting ever closer to filling the 3TB and so to make use of the two current drives, I was going to remove them from their enclosures, add another 3TB drive and run them in RAID5 so that my storage capacity would be 6TB.

>>>> Chris <<<<

Rob_Quads

25th Jan 14 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure you have a well know brand RAID enclosure if you are going hardware. If the casing fails you might need to find another one of the exact same model.

I know someone who was using motherboard cheap hardware raid - board died and he lost all his stuff as he could not find another item with the same board (and could not find out which controller it used)

At least with software you can move it to another machine if it fails.

On windows I use StableBit drive pool which does mirroring but more importantly it does it using native NTFS so if anything fails you can just move the disk into another other machine and you still have access to the files

New Poll