corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Car pulling to either side when braking

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Car pulling to either side when braking
bobothebear

User status: Offline
13th Mar 04 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just fitted some 2nd hand Alloys to my car and basically wish I hadn't cos my car is now handling like a bag of crap.
How the guy who I bought these wheels off could actually drive his car is way beyond me.He must be some kind of driving champion.

Anyway,My initial problem was the steering wheel juddering when doing about 60 which I knew would be the wheels needed balancing.So I took it to a tyre place, whereby I discover the 2 rear tyres had 2 dirty fat nails in them plus the fact the guy had put different profile tyres on the fronts and backs and they were fairly worn. So I thought easy solution get some new tyres on the rears and the wheels balanced.

The juddering has since stopped at all speeds,however just in general driving I feel the car is all over the place. I know there are effects of having larger tyres which cause tramlining but this is just not right. It seems to be pulling quite alot. And on occasions when I have braked fairly heavily the steering wheel has snatched over to one side and I've had to fight it to correct it.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I may do to help correct this problem?
I'm guessing the problem lies in the 2 old tyres on the front.
These wheels came off a Nova which was lowered 60mm.I have read stuff about changing the camber of the car when lowered and the tyres can wear unevenly due to this.So my initial idea is to put the brand new tyres onto the front and see how it responds to that(Tyre centres have new guidelines whereby new tyres have to go on the rear so they wouldnt guarantee it)

Is it possibly it could be the tracking?Does the tracking normally need altering if you change wheels?
M4tt

13th Mar 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the offset of the wheels.

i had et42 and it caused the steering to move with ruts in the road.

AdiSRI

13th Mar 04 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my car follows ruts a lot m8, it really can be that bad sometimes. If the tyres look uneven it cant hurt to replace the fronts and get your tracking done, but do expect tramming to some degree.
bobothebear

13th Mar 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offset is 38!!!
Which I know is about the limit that you can realistically have on a corsa.
I wasn't under the impression that the offset would affect the way the car handles.
M4tt

13th Mar 04 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the problem then mate

et38 will cause the car to tramline alot more than say et45
Joff

13th Mar 04 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wheel offset is the primary factor in determining the car's geometry!

Widening the track will vastly affect the handling. There's no "limit" for offsets, but straying from ET45-49 is never a good idea for the reasons you've described.
AdiSRI

13th Mar 04 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed theres your reason. If you want to improve it get some ET45 alloys.
Joff

13th Mar 04 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Obviously things like your brake calipers being seized or you having a buckled wheel (or two) might be your problem, but hopefully the latter would have been picked up by the tyre fitter and the brakes would be very obvious to yourself by now.
Paul_J

14th Mar 04 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got ET 45 15" evo's - When I brake my car squiggles and squirms like a bitch... have to hold the steering wheel tight.
Go3asy

14th Mar 04 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have et45 vt5s aint drove it yet with them on coz i aint passed my test, have -40mm springs ready to stick on, fk front gmax rear, hope its ok

stuck all 4 on with std suspension and noticed 1 of my std front springs is overlapping its self and my car sitting alot higher at 1 side than the other wit them on fromt the bakc the wheel on 1 side looks well dodgy angled, the suspension cracks and makes a noise when i push down the car, like its stuck, coz when i jacke dit up and jacked it back down the car staye dup, lol the wheel was down and jack was away and the suspensio nwas sitting sohigh! i had to put weight o nthe car to get it back down, i think my std springs or shocks are a bit fucked!
TOMAS

14th Mar 04 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wider tyres and soft standard suspension?
Andy

14th Mar 04 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The wrong offset wheels are certainly going to cause problems, but check too the tie bar to chassis bushes and also the state of the track rod ends - if either are worn, they can cause the car to go all over the place under heavy braking
bobothebear

14th Mar 04 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I decided to put the brand new tyres on the front and the old ones onto the rear and it has improved matters by about 200 times. There is the odd pull which I knew there would be,but now at least it isnt an effort to drive the car.

New Poll