corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » how much would this cost?***update! did the paperclip test***

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how much would this cost?***update! did the paperclip test***
Keithie

User status: Offline
5th Jul 04 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i need my ICV cleaned asap.

im assuming if i take it to a vaux garage they would be able to do this in an hour? therefore only charge me an hours labour?

i would do it myself but dont have the tools with me. i need to get this fixed b4 i take my long journey home u see.

ideas? thoughts?

[Edited on 05-07-2004 by Keithie]
Greasemonkey

5th Jul 04 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what engine ya got dude, that will matter cos if say it was a C16XE engine like mine it would take about 2 hours and ya would also need to replace the inlet manifold gasket too,
Keithie

5th Jul 04 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
what engine ya got dude, that will matter cos if say it was a C16XE engine like mine it would take about 2 hours and ya would also need to replace the inlet manifold gasket too,

i gotta X16XE, why would they need to replace the inlet manifold?? is there anyway of making the ICV stop playing up for a while without actually cleaning it? what about that stuff u can put in with your fuel that is supposed to clean the engine out???
Greasemonkey

5th Jul 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the ICV is in the throttle body, if ya put injector cleaner in ya fuel it will only clean the injectors/valve seats, the ICV only has air pass past it. the X16XE is even more or a nightmare to get to the ICV cos of all the EGR shit, the inlet manifold gasket between lower and upper ilet needs changing cos ya have to remove the top of it to get to the control valve, its a bitch of a job, if ya revs are all over the place it could be 1 of 100 things, i changed every sensor on my engine and i still had the idle problem. Turned out to be a hole in the inlet trunking before the throttle bodie. so what are the exact symptoms dude

Dont worry about driving long distances with a dodgey ICV mine was playing up for nearly 2 years lol

[Edited on 05-07-2004 by Greasemonkey]
Keithie

5th Jul 04 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i start it first thing its fine. the egr kicks in and then goes off after a wee while and it stays at 800rpm.

then after driving for a wee while the accelerator feels like theres a delay, and a gulp in the engine b4 it gets power.

if i idle it it bounces from 200rpm up to 1500 rpm, nearly stalling.

if i turn the car off it takes ages to start again. it turns but wont catch.

when it does eventally JUST start then the engine pops and splutters.

but sometimes when im driving it will go fine, like its supposed to for a few miles. then go bad again
Greasemonkey

5th Jul 04 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right, sounds like a temp sensor playing up, these symptoms are very similar to when one goes, basically it thinks ya car is too hot or too cold and dont put the correct fuel in, it COULD be this, but also like ya said it could be the ICV if ya gonna go to the trouble of cleaning it i would replace it as a matter of course, if this dont cure it maybe try the lambda sensor
Temp sensor = £17ish
Lambda = 75ish
ICV = £75ish

Get ya parts cheap from LMF 01858 433599
also check the EGR valve these play up too, its a pain cos ya gotta check so much.
What reg is ya car depending on this ya might be able to run the fault code off it, let me know its age and i will tell ya how to do it, this will point us in the right direction
Keithie

5th Jul 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its N reg gsi. i heard u can just disconnect the EGR valve and make a plate for the hole in the manafold. would that get rid of that problem?
Keithie

5th Jul 04 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

code 47 --Linear exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR) position

what does this suggest? after i got this i disconnected the secondary air pump (unplugged it) but i got exactly the same problem
Darren

5th Jul 04 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Keithie
code 47 --Linear exhaust gas re-circulation (EGR) position

what does this suggest? after i got this i disconnected the secondary air pump (unplugged it) but i got exactly the same problem

ive had all sorts of egr faults - just live with it or get it blocked off coz the valve itself is 200 odd quid from vaux. it doesnt effect the running tho
Keithie

5th Jul 04 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i probably will, but will disconnecting it solve my problem?
Keithie

5th Jul 04 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

HEY I FIXED IT. thanks greasemonkey for the temp sensor idea.

turns out, one of the pipes going to the temp sensor (at least i think thats what it was) was split open. stuck a new pipe on and its perfect now.

whadda good feeling. thought this was gonna cost me hundreds, but it was nothing!

its fixed all the problems. thank you everybody that gave me ideas! i owe you one :-)
myke

5th Jul 04 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm having similar problems.
what/where exactly is this pipe you had trouble with?

is the temp sensor not in the thermostat housing like on a 2l engine?
Greasemonkey

6th Jul 04 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah that wouldnt have been the temp sensor, like myke said its near the thermostate, dunno what ya changed might have been something on the vacume system i would be interested to find out. if there aint no vacume in the system things like fuel pressure regulator and fuel tank vent valve wont be working
Keithie

6th Jul 04 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill take a pic of it tonight after work and upload it

New Poll