corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Date stamp on xe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Date stamp on xe
corsaandy

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 05 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive read somewhere that there is a date stamp on the c20xe to tell you when it was manufactured can anyone confirm this and let me know where abouts it is because i need to be able to prove the age of my engine for the MOT as im having trouble getting my 1995 corsa with a c20xe engine in through all the MOT stations say they will test it for CAT emmisions. Which is wrong as i have spoken to the VOSA about it and they say the emmisions go on the age of the engine but i have to prove the age of the engine and the VOSA say i need to get a letter from the manufacturer saying when it was manufactured but i cant see that being very easy! So anyone got any ideas?
Rileysport

22nd Aug 05 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

casting date won't be enough...C20XE should have a CAT anyway... whereas 20XE doesnt
corsaandy

22nd Aug 05 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no your wrong C20xe's where fitted with cats out of the factory but did not need them to pass the MOT
Rileysport

22nd Aug 05 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is that on a c20xe you'll struggle to prove it shouldn't have a cat, without the v5 of the car it came from... casting date on my 20xe is 87 for example and it came from an 89 car
corsaandy

22nd Aug 05 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i have the logbook sat infront of me for the car it came out of but the VOSA say that isnt enough i need a letter from vaux but thats gonna be a right arse! well aslong as it is pre 93 it doesnt require a cat i checked that with VOSA aswell. so where can i find the casing date on the block then so i can go and check what mine is.

[Edited on 22-08-2005 by corsaandy]
Rileysport

22nd Aug 05 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres one on a bearing cap under the oil filler
corsaandy

22nd Aug 05 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers ill go have a look
corsaandy

22nd Aug 05 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cd u be a little bit more precise by any chance mate.
casper_ac

22nd Aug 05 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

y not just fit a tempory cat, ave a lotta hassle?
corsaandy

22nd Aug 05 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

becuase i have a full stainless system in there and dont have a cat for it and cats cost alot of money and i dont really want to be hacking my exhaust to bits to fit a cat
Ant

22nd Aug 05 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try another MOT station if you have the V5 which orives your engine number is pre 93 you should have no problems.
lee mitchell

22nd Aug 05 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take off the oil cap and one of the caps has a tiny circle with 2numbers inside. eg. the year. 90, 91,92 etc
Nic Barnes

22nd Aug 05 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all i had to do was tell the mot man it was from an 89 car, he never bothered to check it up at all. passed with flying colours.

just attach a adjustable fuel pressure reg, wind it down so it runs lean as hell outsde the garage, let em test it then drive it out put original one on????
ShEp

22nd Aug 05 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chances are it'll pass a cat test anyway, they cant fail it for the cat not being there, they can only fail it on the emmisions, trust me i know i work in a vauxhall garage and we had a c20xe in with no cat, but it passed a cat test no problem so there was no hassle there,

take it tot a friendly m.o.t. tester and ask him to do a cat test on it, then argue the point that the cat doesnt HAVE to be present and visible for him to pass the vehicle
X 60RSA

22nd Aug 05 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If u look under the front of the car, just above the sump gasket in the middle there is a date there, but that is when the block was made. Probably the same as another dates that might be on the block. It might be a little hard to make out, get some brake cleaner on it or something, defo know there is a date there tho.

As peeps have said above, you dont need a cat, if it passes its ok. Depends where you take it tho, i should have had my log book but the bloke put it down as a pre cat engine, not sure if the levels were ok but he put it thru.
Nic Barnes

22nd Aug 05 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some garages are alright, a local bloke does all my cars, knows me sort of, so just asks for the year of the engine. think he wants them out the way as quick as possible or something.

New Poll