corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Alpine HU's... everyones thoughts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Alpine HU's... everyones thoughts
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd May 06 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hia,

I like the alpine brand, had it in my corsa c and never really had any problems. Looking at getting a new unit from Alpine and these are my choices from caraudiodirect.com

Alpine CDA-9855R

Alpine CDA-9857R

thoughts/comments please, anything i should know about?
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd May 06 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't own either of these, but work in an audio department at Halfords. I personally don't like the Glidetouch buttons on the 9855, I find them very difficult to use without pressing the wrong thing, or not pressing hard enough for it to pick up my command. For that reason, I would go for the 9857, or alternatively wait about 2 months for the new models to come out.
flash22

2nd May 06 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a play with the glide touch and didnt like it but its down to pers0nal prefs

i have got the 9854 whats a vast improvment on the kenwood i had before the menuing system takes a bit of getting use to tho (had kenwood hu's for years )once setup you dont need to touch it
willay
Premium Member

3rd May 06 at 07:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
I don't own either of these, but work in an audio department at Halfords. I personally don't like the Glidetouch buttons on the 9855, I find them very difficult to use without pressing the wrong thing, or not pressing hard enough for it to pick up my command. For that reason, I would go for the 9857, or alternatively wait about 2 months for the new models to come out.

cheers for that mate, wasnt too sure myself!
willay
Premium Member

3rd May 06 at 07:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also waiting is abit hard as I'm currently using a tape deck in my LS
a_j_mair

11th May 06 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the 9855
glide touch takes some getting used to, i never really use it to be honest.

is a good quality head unit though
Rob B

12th May 06 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

glide touch is ace once your used to it.
chr15barn3s

12th May 06 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really like the glide touch. It was a bit werid at first but like rob said once your used to it its great. Ive got the 9853r
GavsCorsa

15th May 06 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the glide touch actually for ? Flicking thru mp3 discs quicker or sumthin ?
chr15barn3s

15th May 06 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cant do tracks on it, its for the menu and you scan through the settings etc on it. It replaces the numbers at the bottom for radio station presets aswell.
Toby
Premium Member

19th May 06 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant use glidetouch with my sausage fingers so i got my self a CDA-9812RB
GavsCorsa

19th May 06 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kinda hijacking this sorry but how do you like the 9812 ? Its the model im looking at to get in a couple of months time
MoNkEy MaGiC

21st May 06 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a top of range alpine HU over 3-4 years ago and i thought it was good!!

i got the 9855 few months ago and it blowed the old one away!!!!
sound quality is brilliant!! face off security, ipod ready, 50wx4, multi colour button display, data download, mp3/wma playback, 3 x pre outs(front, rear, sub).... list goes on!

-it has not got many specific bass adjustment settings but more of a set graphic and parametic equliser u can use, so i suggest u have a decent set of speakers or a sub!

-quite a few of these headunits had a problem with not opening/ejecting the cd!! the simple solution to this i found was the metal around the rim of the headunit was to tight, so a bit of loosening and it was fine!!

-the glide bar is ok, i dont really like that much but u hardy will ever need to use it however when u do i suggest not to use the glide bar while driving as u will find u end up in the wrong menus and settings because of the lag in the menu opening while u hold your finger on the bar!! lol

-sound 10/10
-looks 10/10
-ease of use 8/10
-features 9/10
-durability 10/10
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

21st May 06 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by GavsCorsa
kinda hijacking this sorry but how do you like the 9812 ? Its the model im looking at to get in a couple of months time

i've got the 9812RB and its a great unit
RickSRi

21st May 06 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im buying the 9855 very soon, sound is amazing + it works with hand controls and that little dome thingy on corsa dash which i kinda cool
Toby
Premium Member

24th May 06 at 17:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J
quote:
Originally posted by GavsCorsa

i've got the 9812RB and its a great unit
great but hardwirings always time consuming
flash22

24th May 06 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RickSRi
im buying the 9855 very soon, sound is amazing + it works with hand controls and that little dome thingy on corsa dash which i kinda cool

to get both the steering wheel controls and mfd working you have to buy the right leads and only alpine make them currently and there £60-£75

if you just want the audio controls (no display) working then you can buy a autoleads cable for around £30

And if you have a corsa C 2004 onwards you may need the canbus lead(s)what cost arm and a leg and are to order only
willay
Premium Member

25th May 06 at 16:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

holy shitrocks batman i bought the 9855R.
Martin

25th May 06 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
holy shitrocks batman i bought the 9855R.
#

are you pissed off with the glid touch yet

New Poll